Author Topic: Concerned about excision scar on areola (pic included)  (Read 6011 times)

Offline i_dont_know

• Silver Member
I'm about 7 weeks post-op so I know that there is still healing to be done and that this isn't the final result yet, but I have to be honest here and say that I'm a little concerned about this. It looks a little like a "crease" to me but I can't tell if it's just the scar that hasn't healed yet or if the nipple is damaged to a point where this is permanent. I had excision on both sides and the other side looks a little similar but the center doesn't really look displaced like this one does.

Maybe I'm fretting over nothing, maybe I'm not. I really don't know WHAT the areola are supposed to look like after excision at this point post-op, but this just doesn't look normal to me and I'm beginning to worry that the crease may be permanent, in which case I'll be extremely upset. I'm posting this here because I need the docs here to give me their professional opinion.

Any input/advice/etc, would be GREATLY appreciated. I spent a lot of money on this surgery and I know it's normal to analyze everything quite a bit as I'm healing, but this is something I've been concerned about. If the healing is still taking place and the appearance will improve as time goes on, I can deal with that.. but I'm really not sure if it is.  :-\

DrBermant

I'm about 7 weeks post-op so I know that there is still healing to be done and that this isn't the final result yet, but I have to be honest here and say that I'm a little concerned about this. It looks a little like a "crease" to me but I can't tell if it's just the scar that hasn't healed yet or if the nipple is damaged to a point where this is permanent. I had excision on both sides and the other side looks a little similar but the center doesn't really look displaced like this one does.

Maybe I'm fretting over nothing, maybe I'm not. I really don't know WHAT the areola are supposed to look like after excision at this point post-op, but this just doesn't look normal to me and I'm beginning to worry that the crease may be permanent, in which case I'll be extremely upset. I'm posting this here because I need the docs here to give me their professional opinion.

Any input/advice/etc, would be GREATLY appreciated. I spent a lot of money on this surgery and I know it's normal to analyze everything quite a bit as I'm healing, but this is something I've been concerned about. If the healing is still taking place and the appearance will improve as time goes on, I can deal with that.. but I'm really not sure if it is.  :-\

Tissues do evolve during Healing After Gynecomastia Surgery.  Starting out with a depression is not as good as starting out flat and can be a sign that there will be a permanent contour deformity.  Swelling right after surgery can hide depressions.  I prefer techniques with minimal Bruising Swelling after Gynecomastia Surgery.

There are many examples on my website of early healing after gynecomastia surgery.  Male Areola Before and After Gynecomastia Surgery is just one.  Take your time and you can find many other examples.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Surgery

Offline i_dont_know

• Silver Member
Thanks, Dr. Bermant.

It's so hard to tell because right under the crease, it appears that the scar is risen up above the normal skin level a bit.. so I don't really know what to expect, but I'm hoping that as the scar heals more and settles down flatter, the crease will dissipate at least a little bit and become less noticeable. Is that a realistic possibility?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024