Author Topic: Puffy Nipples surgery -- does it work?!?!  (Read 30534 times)

Offline AZ54321

• Posting Member
Hi, I've been visiting these forums for quiet a while now in hope of finding a proper solution to my puffy nipples. I've had a consultation with Dr. Lista already, and am booked in with Fielding for early next week. I've realized that surgery is the only way to cure this problem, as my case is nearly (if not 100%) gland. I'm completely terrified now, however, because the more I read on these forums, the more I realize that many people are unfortunately reporting less than stellar results. In fact, I've read countless posts so far with individuals claiming that their puffy nipples came back after surgery. If you've had a bad experience with surgery, can you please indicate if your surgeon was a good one? Although it's impossible to predict results from surgery, will I be in safe hands with either Lista or Fielding for a case of puffy nipples?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 02:22:28 AM by AZ54321 »

Offline Jake

• Silver Member
  • My body is my temple.
Take a deep breath and calm down.  It's good that you are consulting different surgeons.  Those two surgeons are well known around here as well.  I think you will be in good hands.

The people that report "less than stellar" results are usually the ones, like myself, that choose local surgeons to do the job.  When you have someone who doesn't specialize in or perform frequent gynecomastia reductions, you run the risk of the surgeon taking out a little less tissue to be safe.  A more experienced surgeon will know how much to take out most of the time, though it's never certain.  This sometimes can leave the puffy nipple cases with some residual gland that can still cause a slight protrusion.

I don't regret my surgery one bit.  It got me closer to feeling normal and out of large shirts and into small and mediums.  It definitely left nothing for me to hide, so to speak.  I may have it revised by a more experienced surgeon some day in the distant future when I'm on my own, but for now I'm OK.

Take your time with the surgeons and ask a lot of questions.  Go with whoever you feel comfortable with.

You'll be fine!   :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 03:44:12 PM by Jake »
Had gynecomastia since age 12.
Surgery performed on July 18, 2008 by
Dr. Jeffrey Wagner in Indianapolis, IN.
(Excision and Liposuction)

"The heart moves on while the mind remembers."

Offline mike888

• Posting Member
AZ54321,

I just got my surgery done today. Best decision I ever made. If you're built anything like me you will be fine (6'1", 185lbs).  I think the puffy nipples seem to be the "easier" fix. If you're naturally thin I would suggest working out to tone up and eat healthy prior to surgery.  Get your body in the best shape you can be in because healing seems to be the most important part. You need to go slow after the surgery to get the best results (less scaring and faster healing). If you have any questions feel free to ask!

mike888

Offline mrpower33

• Silver Member
I disagree with mike888 on one thing, I don't think puffy nipples are an "easier" fix, in fact, I think it's much harder than full blown gyne.  People with C cups are generally happy no matter how things come out because it was such a big problem before, but people with puffy nipples, especially mild cases, need near perfect results for the surgery to be worth it.  Just go through this board and you will find lots of people with crater problems, skin adhering to muscle, terrible scarring, etc.  I think lots of gyne surgeons have trouble with puffy nipples, you need to find one that does hundreds of them.  I had my surgery with Bermant, he knew EXACTLY what he was doing. 

Offline mrpower33

• Silver Member
Here's my experience, I also broke down the cost in there.  I traveled from CA, which was a bitch, but totally worth it.

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17164.0

DrBermant

You can find many examples of subtle Puffy Nipple Gynecomastia Surgery Before and After Pictures here.. Jane is my office manager and can better discuss costs and fees.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline mike888

• Posting Member
Mrpower33 I think the people you read about on here complaining about problems with the surgery are the few that have had the problems.  Think about it...for the most part if you are happy with your surgery you'd move on from sites like this.  You rarely see people on here talking about how good their surgery was for an extended period of time.

Personally I think paying $7000+ for surgery is ridiculous!  You can find great surgeons all over the country.  Why would anyone fly from California to Virginia for surgery?? California has outstanding PS.  Just do your research and ask lots of questions...

Offline tpatdd

• Posting Member
Keep one thing in mind regarding costs.  While there are great surgeons all over the country who charge less than $7k, there are also very poor surgeons who charge less than $7k.  You don't want to be the guy who pays $3k and winds up needing a revision.  By the time you get the revision (if you can afford it), your total costs will likely be far in excess of $7k, plus the time and emotional investment.

Do your homework, find the right surgeon for you, save your money and let the cost be what it is.  There's a lot of value in getting it done right the first time.  My guess is that anyone on this board who needs a revision would tell you that they wished they saved a few extra dollars and got it done right the first time.

Offline AZ54321

• Posting Member
Thanks for the input guys, but can anyone tell me why Dr. Fielding in Toronto is so inexpensive in comparison to others if he is considered to be one of the best? I understand that he operates in a public hospital as opposed to a private clinic, but this can't account for the huge difference between prices. Thanks.

Offline mrpower33

• Silver Member
Mike888, I would have loved to find someone in California to do it, trust me, the traveling was pretty hellish and I hate traveling to begin with.  But I looked and looked and there were only a few people in CA that I would have maybe been willing to go with, Kapoor in Beverly Hills, Cruise in Newport Beach, Delgado and Rajagopol in SF.  First of all Delgado is even more expensive and difficult to book, and for the other three I couldn't find enough info on them here or elsewhere to feel comfortable about going with them.  Also, I believe all of them use drains, and just the thought of that made my stomach turn.  Plus, drains are difficult to hide and I wasn't planning on telling anyone about this.

So at the end of the day, I wanted a perfect result with minimal discomfort and I was willing to pay what ever it took.  In my opinion, sometimes you need to pay a little more for the peace of mind that you're going to get a good result.  I have the added advantage of not having an issue with money.  But the reality is you have the rest of your life to make money but if you mess up a surgery like this it could end up costing you more both money-wise and in pain and suffering.  

I also agree with tppatdd, there are expensive surgeons who have also done lousy jobs.  The only way to guaranty a good result is to go with someone with extensive experience, someone who has done hundreds of the type of surgery you need and can prove to you with photos that they can get do it well.  I just don't understand why so many people would risk it with a random ps, it's just crazy.  You may luck out, but if it doesn't, you'll be just as pissed as all the people here with even an even worse problem than before.  I'm not one to take that kind of risk, especially when it's totally within your control to avoid.  There are a handful of surgeons on this board who have really good reputations and do these all day long.  I still think the best way to go is to pick one of them that you're most comfortable with and not worry so much about the price.  

Finally, one other thing, there's also the point that many of us here have become obsessed with our nipples and/or chest.  I feel like many people who are getting these revisions probably don't really need them, but can't help it because of a need to get it just right.  At the end of the day, if you think you have that disposition, you need to just get it right the first time, no matter what the cost because you probably won't be satisfied if it's not perfect.

Offline mrpower33

• Silver Member
Mike888, who was your surgeon?  If you think he did a good job, you should let people know about him/her.  I don't mean to discourage people from getting the best possible price, my only point is that price shouldn't be the main driver in your decision, it should be your comfort level with a surgeon's experience. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024