Author Topic: Questions for Doctors, Recurrence  (Read 2245 times)

Offline MTL

• Posting Member
I strongly believe that my gyno is related to using Propecia from 2000-2005 for my thinning hair. I thought that medicine was a miracle drug. I started taking it after I attended a seminar by a dermatologist who had been taking Propecia himself with good results. I had great results after the first month. I did grow hair on my head; lots of it. I could even style my hair. I did grow something else too; "Gynecomastia" after a few months of using that medicine and it just kept on getting worse until I stopped taking that medicine.
I used to take Prilosec chronically for my acid reflux during that period as well. I have been able to control and manage that problem with diet and life style change for the past few years. But, every now and then I have to take a prilosec or Zantac if I ever eat too much too late at night, eat fast/greasy food or have a couple of drinks at a party.

I am not taking Propecia ever again. I've just been using topical solutions like Rogaine.

I am however worried that after my surgery Gyno will recur if I continue to take Stomach acid blockers or any other medicine (not daily). Would that be possible? Has any of the surgeons in this forum ever noticed any recurrence in their patients because of using certain medicine? Are some people genetically more at risk of recurrence?  Besides diet and exercise what other things should one do or avoid doing/taking to help prevent recurrence?

I hope I do not sound like I am worrying too much or overanalyzing everything. And I hope I am not the only one who might have the same question(s).
Thanking you all in advance for your responses.

Offline DrCALOCA

• Posting Member
    • www.gynecomastiamexico.com
I understand your concerns regarding recurrance. No patient wishes to have to go through another surgery. I agree that the medications you mention can be the cause of Gynecomastia, but during male breast reduction the target tissue (breast gland) is mostly removed. Therefore, if there is little tissue that can respond to the stimulus that can cause gynecomastia; there should be little or no growth in the future. A thorough periareolar subcutaneous mastectom should have no recurrance in the future.
Dr.Dr.Jaime Caloca Jr.
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
(619) 734-2290 -www.drcaloca.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024