Author Topic: Best way to heal scars?  (Read 3260 times)

Offline cursed2cured

• Posting Member
3 weeks post op, very minimal scarring. i was curious on as to what would be the best way to make my scars "dissapear" as fast as possible, and when would be a good time to start applying such a product.

thx.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There are a number of creams and lotions which can be applied to help the scars mature and settle down.  One of my favorites is Vitamin E oil -- either from a capsule which is cut and the oil applied to the scars or in the form of vit E cream available OTC at most pharmacies.

Alternatively, there are other, perhaps more expensive remedies, such as Mederma, Scarguard and the like.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

3 weeks post op, very minimal scarring. i was curious on as to what would be the best way to make my scars "dissapear" as fast as possible, and when would be a good time to start applying such a product.

thx.

The best way to deal with scars is to use techniques that minimize damage to tissues. The skill of the surgeon is a major factor.  How patients heal are also important.

After Surgery Scar Care can help evolve tissue during healing.  I prefer to individualize the scar care for each of my patients.  There is a great deal of hype about what products do what but no definitive studies that show one type of agent better than another.  My typical recommendation is for cocoa butter, much less expensive than most, for the agent.  Also scars that evolve under pressure do much better than scars without pressure.  That is why After Surgery Compression Garments can be of such value to contour scars.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024