Author Topic: If you could start over, would you still become a doctor?  (Read 1727 times)

Offline xoxxx

• Posting Member
Just curious to know how many doctors here like there jobs??

What are the pros and cons?

Im very intrested in medical science and life in general. Very intrested in plastics and sports medicine.
Would love to have the opportunity to go to med. school.

Offline xoxxx

• Posting Member
Hmmm, No doctors have any input on this??

Well let me ask this, If im intrested in doing medicine how competitive is it to get into general surgery and branches of surgery?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I love what I do -- and would not trade it for any other position. 

But a career in medicine -- today -- is very different from the time when I attended medical school.  You will be faced with increasing regulation by the government.  Insurance companies are already "guiding" your treatment of patients based on what is financially efficient -- and frequently not what is best for the patient.

In essence, you will be training for a salaried job -- not a profession. 

As a result of these changes that are already occurring, I note that the people applying for medical school are not the A students of a generation ago -- they are the B students of today.  And these B students will be the doctors for all of us within the next generation. The A students that I know today are looking for other careers.

Thank the insurance companies, government and attorneys who altogether have taken down a noble profession.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline xoxxx

• Posting Member
Dr Jacobs I don't know if you could have said it with anymore truth.

Alot of my family members are doctors, they all just tell me the horrible things that the gov't does. Soon enought those B students will become C students. With my future healthcare down the drain.
Yet again, there are some things in medicine that tend to stay away from gov't and insurance policies. Plastics/Derma. seem like good options at this point.

I would consider trying to go into med school because of my vast intrest in the processes of the human body, and how medicine can save/expand life. Not to mention, there arent many jobs that can guarentee a good paycheck. The future paycheck or a practitioner is also seeming to change. Soon enough we will have bureaucrats sitting at a desk deciding if removing your malignant tumor is a financialy stable option.

I realize that there are easier and less stresfull ways to make the same exact paycheck, but I believe my passion for science could go far..
I still have some time to decide, For right now I guess I will just continue to try and do my best in school and see how everything ends up closer to time.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024