Author Topic: What if their are medical complications after gynecomastia surgery ?  (Read 8190 times)

Offline steelhead

• Silver Member
On out of town patients what if something happened like infections or swelling ?
I know we should contact the operating doctor directly but what if the patient
was from out of town? Would you recommend that he go see their personal doctor
or go to the emergency room. I only ask because when I have my surgery I would prefer
not to even mention it my doctor.

DrBermant

On out of town patients what if something happened like infections or swelling ?
I know we should contact the operating doctor directly but what if the patient
was from out of town? Would you recommend that he go see their personal doctor
or go to the emergency room. I only ask because when I have my surgery I would prefer
not to even mention it my doctor.

Many of my patients travel from around the world for my surgical sculpture. Complications are a reality, they can happen with any surgery or for that matter with anything such as driving a car. The trick is to evolve a system to minimize such risks with prevention. Prevention is one reason we need to see each patient before they travel back home. With my methods, such complications are quite rare. If they happen, I ask my patients to call me immediately. Each case is managed individually and recommendations range from management over the phone, to come back for my care, to report to the emergency room.

With my patients, Swelling After Gynecomastia Surgery typically peaks in the operating room and keeps going down after. Rare swelling like a hematoma is picked up by the day after surgery. This happens about once every 1 to 2 years in my practice. Infection is also something quite unusual. Prevention again is a major factor. I cannot remember the last time we had a wound infection for one of my patients.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery

The best way to head off any possible complication is to go to a surgeon who does a lot of gyne surgery -- that is just plain common sense.  The more someone does something, the better he becomes at it and the fewer post-op problems will arise.

That being said, there is an old adage among surgeons:  "The only way to avoid post-op complications is not to operate at all."  All surgeons, even the best, do have a post-op problem now and then.  Fortunately they are rare.  But a good surgeon is one who knows not only how to operate but also how to anticipate/prevent any potential post-op problems and also how to deal with them successfully.

The best ways to prevent post op complications actually begins prior to surgery.  Doctors will order blood tests to check on your general health and specifically for any possible tendency to bleed.  In some situations, it is best to have pre-clearance by your local physician, who knows you best.

Then, there are instructions sent to all patients about pre-op preparation.  Among the most important items is an avoidance of aspirin and NSAIDS (like Motrin, etc) which can predispose to bleeding.  If you cheat on these, you are only cheating yourself.

And if you are going into surgery, you should have no active infections anywhere on your body, such as a cold, sinusitis, or even local infections such as active acne, etc.

For most gyne operations, the main concerns post-op are bleeding/fluid collection or infection.  Any contour irregularities, cratering, etc should be recognized and corrected at the time of surgery itself -- these would not be considered a post op problem but rather an intra-op problem.

I consider the use of really snug compression garments KEY to preventing fluid or blood accumulation after surgery.  And this is truly in the hands of the patient, for I cannot be there 24 hrs a day for a month after surgery to supervise a patient in wearing the garments correctly.  I request my patients to wear the compression garments for 24/7 (except only to shower) for at least 3-4 weeks minimum after surgery.  The constant pressure, as well as avoidance of strenuous activities, is excellent for preventing fluid or blood accumulation.

Infections in gyne surgery are extra-ordinarily rare.  I have not had a surgical post-op infection in years (fortunately!!).  This is due to the fact that gyne is a "clean" operation, I do prescribe preventive antibiotics peri-operatively and I run my private operating room as well (perhaps better) than hospital OR's.  BTW, my OR has been accredited by The Joint Commission, which is the same organization that accredits hospitals and hospital OR's.

So in general, your chances of post-op problems with gyne surgery, particularly with a very experienced gyne surgeon, are quite low.

Dr Jacobs

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 11:44:01 AM by Dr. Elliot Jacobs »
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You are most welcome!  Hope this advice has been helpful.

Dr Jacobs

DrBermant

Thanks Dr's.

You are welcome!

You can explore many Patient Experiences with Gynecomastia Surgery and Travel on the many links I have on my site. The fly out menus can be used to see where many of these patients have come from and what happened after surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Oh, by the way, for you or anyone else who lives far from New York City, I would be pleased to personally provide a courtesy evaluation of your situation for free.  All you need do is send me your name and email address via a message on this site.  I have had men from come to see me from six continents via this method -- I am still waiting for my first patient from Antarctica though.

Dr Jacobs

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Guess there aren't many penguins with gyne.  ;)
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024