Author Topic: Steroids again  (Read 2106 times)

Offline jizz

• Posting Member
Sorry but I got to ask, and please reply Honestly!!!

Will taking anabolic steroids(like dianabol along with nolvadex) help reduce my man boobs.

I've seen women bodybuilders with no breasts due to steroid abuse.
So if it can shrink breasts in Women!!!  Why shouldn't it do the same to me???

Please don't ban me for asking this question, just being curious!!!

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Women bodybuilders lose their breast tissue for a number of reasons, most of them unrelated to their use of anabolic steroids.  Primarily, since the breasts in women are largely made of fat, women who bodybuild to the extent that their body fat is reduced lose breast volume due to fat loss.  Changes in glandular breast tissue in women may also occur, but the main cause for shrinkage is fat loss.  After breast feeding, women also see some involution of their glandular tissue, and this may also account for size decrease having nothing to do with bodybuilding or steroid use.

In men, the situation is quite different.  The use of exogenous steroids causes a reduction in the natural amount of steroid production.  This isn't really a problem during the cycle, though many men will observe some tingling or sensitivity of the nipple during their cycle.  Afterwards, however, when coming off of the cycle, testosterone levels will drop until the body starts to produce its own testosterone, and in the meantime, circulating estrogen levels may remain high from aromatization of testosterone when there was a lot of that floating around from the steroids that were taken.  This fluctuation causes a shift in the ratio of testosterone to estrogen in the body, and it's this shift that results in stimulation of the breast tissue leading to tissue growth--and gynecomastia.  Drugs that try to block aromatase or estrogen are used to try and prevent the stimulation of the tissue, and may be effective to some degree at minimizing progression of the condition.  They are not very effective at reducing the condition once it's established.  At that point, surgery is the most effective treatment. 

You can visit my website for some patient photos of gynecomastia from steroid and prohormone use:

http://ricksilverman.com/component/joomgallery/?func=viewcategory&catid=13

I hope that's helpful.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com