Author Topic: Icing after surgery?  (Read 9270 times)

Offline 90293

• Posting Member
Does icing help after surgery? I know not to place the ice directly on the skin and I was planning on using those instant ice packs that arn't super cold over my compression garmet. But I know icing reduces swelling and it feels really good on the pain/discomfort?

Thanks

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I do not recommend icing to my patients.

I do believe in very firm compression after surgery -- it will cut down swelling, post op oozing and allow the skin to tighten/shrink and adhere to the underlying tissues.

The pain (really soreness) after gyne surgery is due to swelling and secondary inflammation near the muscle -- and this lasts, on the average, only about 48 hrs.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

Does icing help after surgery? I know not to place the ice directly on the skin and I was planning on using those instant ice packs that arn't super cold over my compression garmet. But I know icing reduces swelling and it feels really good on the pain/discomfort?

Thanks

Icing is dangerous can impair blood supply and hurt tissue that may have survived. I ask my patients to not use such measures after surgery. I prefer techniques that inherently have minimal Swelling and Bruising after Gynecomastia Surgery, yes those are typical examples of how my patients' tissues evolve. With such techniques Comfort after Gynecomastia Surgery is also optimized.  Although I prescribe a strong pain medication, my patients typically tell me that plan Tylenol alone is more than enough for their comfort. Compression Garments for Gynecomastia Surgery are a key component for my patients after care.

Each doctor has his / her own methods. You need to check with you doctor about their specific after surgery regime to minimize swelling and optimize comfort.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
I have found icing (20 minutes on and 20 minutes off) reasonable and useful for decreasing pain and swelling after the trauma of surgery.  There is really no downside to icing.  First and foremost, a compression garment is most useful.   I prefer compression garments to be more snug the first few days post operatively, unless I perform a significant nipple/areola lift or repositioning in which case more gentle compression is recommended to preserve blood flow to the nipple.
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024