Author Topic: Crease forming on one side  (Read 2021 times)

Offline Elesha

• Posting Member
Hello,

My husband is 6 months post-op for gyno surgery and he is starting to notice a distinct line under the left breast. He is afraid that the skin has attached to the underlying tissue there in an abnormal way.

Is there anything he can do at 6 weeks pos-op? Should he start rubbing it harder or try pulling the skin away in that area or moving it around to try to detach it or is it too late? Could this have been preventable? Can anything be done at this point? The thought of starting all over again makes him sick to his stomach...

http://wikisend.com/download/526862/DSC01523.JPG

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Your question is a little confusing, since you first mention that he's six months post-op, then you say six weeks.  If he is indeed six weeks post-op, that would make a difference, since he's still in the early stages of healing.  In that case, massage to the area and time to allow for resolution of swelling may alter the appearance of the crease. I've also seen some temporary indentations from garments, which resolve with time and avoidance of pressure from the garment at the point of indentation, along with localized massage.

It's possible that over-resection of fat accounts for the crease, and depending on how significant this is, it may require treatment in the future, most likely consisting of some fat grafting in the area.  If he's six months out, he should be talking to his surgeon about a correction, but if he's six weeks out, he should be getting instructions on massage.

Hope that helps.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Elesha

• Posting Member
Hi,

I'm really sorry. I meant 6 weeks.

He also tried to contact his surgeon today but didn't get past the nurse who told him everything was normal, to continue massaging and that it would all work itself out. I'm just worried because I remember seeing Braveboy who had a 3 inch indent that was permanent attached to the muscle below.

Anyway - does anyone have any hints on massaging? He doesn't put anything on the skin when he massages - it is dry so when he moves his hand around in small circles the skin moves with it. Is that technique okay? Or should he be using some oil so that the skin does not pull and he just slides over it. Also, he bought a hand held massager recently and is starting to use that. Is that okay?

Sorry about the barrage of questions but there is one more thing. At 6 weeks, his compression vest comes off today. Is there any benefit to continue using it beyond 6 weeks even though the doctor has given him "permission" to stop using it? I guess what I'm asking is, is the doctor telling him he doesn't HAVE TO wear it even though he could benefit from continuing to wear it? Or is it actually possible that it would have a negative effect to continue wearing it.

Thank you so much to all of you doctors for all your help. You don't know how much this means to us that you give you time. We have had more useful feedback from this site than from the surgeon.

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
At 6 weeks, patients are at the height of wound healing underneath the areola.  This wound healing consists of healing scar tissue, even though you can't see it.  I wouldn't be overly concerned with having scar contraction at 6 weeks.  By 6 months however, your husband should expect the tissue to have softened.  Massage is very helpful.
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024