Author Topic: Having hormones tested...suggestions, comments?  (Read 2056 times)

Offline cowboy100

• Posting Member
I am seeing my doctor about having my hormone levels tested, anything I should ask or have done specifically? I have already had surgery and revision...my chest seems to be getting pointy/puffy again so I want to see if its from returning gyno (which I assume would be proven by a hormone imbalance?/ high estrogen?) and if not then I would have to assume its scar tissue causing problems and I should get kenalog.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Start with basic testing of testosterone, estrogen, prolactin levels.  Normal levels don't guarantee that you aren't having a recurrence, but you want to be sure that your levels are normal before you undergo further surgery anyway.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline cowboy100

• Posting Member
if normal levels don't guarantee anything, how do I know if I need surgery...like how do I know if its returning or its scar tissue...

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
It's tough to comment on what's going on with the limited information you've provided.  We don't know the etiology of your condition originally, we don't really know anything about the surgery that you've had, and we don't know if you have any other medical conditions or use any medications that might impact your hormone levels.  The best person to work with is your original surgeon, who might be better able to address your concerns, since he or she knows the details of your history.  Also, your PCP may understand some of your history, especially as it relates to fear of abnormal hormonal levels.  He or she might also be able to guide you through any testing.

RS

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024