Author Topic: Surgery in 1 Week! A Few Questions  (Read 2317 times)

Offline samkilty

• Posting Member
I'm new to this site, although I've been reading many posts to research my decision. I have had gynecomastia for 3 years, and after much suffering I'm ready for surgery. The procedure is sceduled for August 13 (yes its Friday the 13th) and I have a few questions.

My surgeon is a general surgeon, but apparently does these many times a year, and he is the go-to guy in town. Is it alright that he's not a plastic surgeon? Will i get more of a sunken look?

I only have puffy nipples, so I am getting the glands removed. There will be a drain put in one side, but that side is only a bit bigger. Are the drains painful? Will a drain in only one side create non symmetrical results?

Thank you so much for reading, I am so excited! I will be posting my pre-op and post-op pictures later, along with my experience.

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
Welcome, Sam.

Since no one knows your doctor, the only thing to do is speak in generalities, and in general, plastic surgeons with lots and lots of experience are what you would typically look for when considering this type of surgery.  The fact that your general surgeon does many of these surgeries is a plus.  The more the better. 

One would have to assume he would not be doing so many of them if he didn't have a history of doing them well.  You should feel free to ask to see as many before and after pictures of his gyne surgeries as possible.  If you like what you see, then that bodes well for you. If you don't like what you see, then feel free to back out and find someone else.

Offline samkilty

• Posting Member
Thanks a lot! I'm going to look at before and after pictures ASAP. I'm still wondering about drains though, and if they hurt/how they work. Thanks again man!

Offline ddh

• Silver Member
Be wary if your surgeon only has one or two before/after pics to show you!

You want to see LOTS of examples of his surgeries. If he can't provide them, find a plastic surgeon who has lots of experience with gyne. If you need to travel out of your area, do it.

Although my PS has information about gyne on his website, including a couple of pics, I wished I had gone to a PS who specializes in gyne. I'm probably going to have to spend another $5,000 on revision surgery.

Best of luck!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024