Author Topic: AM I CRAZY?  (Read 6422 times)

Offline spanky

• Posting Member
Have noticed over the last 6 months, I have gained excessive breast tissue.  At the early stage, I noticed my breasts were tender and puffy and were getting larger.  No longer male breasts and no chest, arm or leg hair. My skin is SO soft and my scalp hair has filled in.    After discussing the issue with endocrinologist, I was diagnosed with hypogonadism with very low TSH and started testosterone injections - 500 mg every 2 weeks.  

I was told if I did not get the injections, estrogen would cause more breast growth. Ok, here is where it get weird.  I was also told that testerone injections could cause more breast development.  Seems that no testsoterone has many more implications that does too much. OK SO either way, I will have boobs. Certainly, a 40A is completly filled now.  A B-cup is 3/4 filled but requires augmentation to propely fill the cup . Do I use augmentation (gel inserts) to fill the cup where it actually supports or do I not get the support and simply be happy with the A Cup?

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 04:47:01 PM by spanky »

Offline radic

• Posting Member
Crazy??? No.

Not sure why you feel the need to wear a bra, much less use "inserts" to fill one out.  Unless you really want to.... then wear what you like.  My boobs are much the same size you describe, and I feel no need for support... and my personal preference would be never to wear one in any case.  Your mileage may vary.  aloha

Offline Anon E Mouse

• Bronze Member
My breasts are growing for the same reasons. My body essentially stopped making testosterone which increased the relative estrogen levels. My body then began (among other things), to develop breasts. I began replacing the testosterone (which is a major improvement in terms of other hypogonadism related symptoms), and my breasts have continued to grow. The reason is that there's an enzyme (Aromatase) in our bodies which converts a portion of the testosterone to estrogen. There are drugs available (Aromatase Inhibitors) which help prevent this, but they have side-effects as well. In my particular case, the side-effects (increased potential for blood clots) is an unacceptable risk. I have cardiovascular disease, 2 stents in my heart, I drive for a living which limits the movement of my legs for long periods of time, all of which makes me a prime candidate for clotting. I made a conscious decision to allow my breasts to grow rather than risk my life to spare myself some embarrassment.

I do wear a bra to work for support and comfort. I am not "light in my loafers", nor do I think I'm "pretty". For me, it's a practical solution to a practical problem. I recently ordered 2 new 40C bras which are comfortable to wear and do their job of supporting me. The ones I wear to work are less comfortable, but are also less visible than the ones I wear at home. The ones I wear at home are much more comfortable, but they also don't do as well at minimizing what I have. It's a trade-off.

Talk to your Endocrinologist about your particular case. If you catch things early enough you may well be able to minimize your breast growth, and sometimes reduce it.

Good luck!

Anon

DrBermant

My breasts are growing for the same reasons. My body essentially stopped making testosterone which increased the relative estrogen levels. My body then began (among other things), to develop breasts. I began replacing the testosterone (which is a major improvement in terms of other hypogonadism related symptoms), and my breasts have continued to grow. The reason is that there's an enzyme (Aromatase) in our bodies which converts a portion of the testosterone to estrogen. There are drugs available (Aromatase Inhibitors) which help prevent this, but they have side-effects as well. In my particular case, the side-effects (increased potential for blood clots) is an unacceptable risk. I have cardiovascular disease, 2 stents in my heart, I drive for a living which limits the movement of my legs for long periods of time, all of which makes me a prime candidate for clotting. I made a conscious decision to allow my breasts to grow rather than risk my life to spare myself some embarrassment.

I do wear a bra to work for support and comfort. I am not "light in my loafers", nor do I think I'm "pretty". For me, it's a practical solution to a practical problem. I recently ordered 2 new 40C bras which are comfortable to wear and do their job of supporting me. The ones I wear to work are less comfortable, but are also less visible than the ones I wear at home. The ones I wear at home are much more comfortable, but they also don't do as well at minimizing what I have. It's a trade-off.

Talk to your Endocrinologist about your particular case. If you catch things early enough you may well be able to minimize your breast growth, and sometimes reduce it.

Good luck!

Anon

Not being worried about breast growth has major value. But then so does prevention. Using topical Testosterone minimizes the massive peaks and valleys of injections and can almost eliminate aromatization issues. In addition avoiding application of the get to the breasts or genitalia can be critical for minimizing issues.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I have stents in both iliac arteries and in coronary arteries as well. these cause increased concerns regarding clotting and I am taking Plavix and Ecotrin. I also wear support hose especially when I will be traveling for any significant time or distance. I understand that elevated Estrogen levels can compound the clotting issue regardless of the reason for the E level to have become elevated. Hypertension and Hyperlipidemia are also matters of great concern.

Obviously the Gynecomastia has to be relegated to the status of a minor problem in relation to the circulatory problems and other issues you are facing.

I really do not have anything constructive to add, but perhaps there is some comfort simply in knowing you are not alone.

Grandpa Dan

Offline Anon E Mouse

• Bronze Member
Similar situation for me as well. I have 2 stents in my heart as well as all the issues PawPaw has. I also drive for a living. In the grand scheme of things, having breasts just isn't that important.

Anon

DrBermant

I have stents in both iliac arteries and in coronary arteries as well. these cause increased concerns regarding clotting and I am taking Plavix and Ecotrin. I also wear support hose especially when I will be traveling for any significant time or distance. I understand that elevated Estrogen levels can compound the clotting issue regardless of the reason for the E level to have become elevated. Hypertension and Hyperlipidemia are also matters of great concern.

Obviously the Gynecomastia has to be relegated to the status of a minor problem in relation to the circulatory problems and other issues you are facing.

I really do not have anything constructive to add, but perhaps there is some comfort simply in knowing you are not alone.

Similar situation for me as well. I have 2 stents in my heart as well as all the issues PawPaw has. I also drive for a living. In the grand scheme of things, having breasts just isn't that important.

Anon

Elective cosmetic surgery is just that optional. Unnecessary risk taking is just inappropriate. That is why understanding a patients general medical condition is so important before considering surgery. This is why you need to be careful about any advice someone gives about being a "good candidate for surgery" without such information.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 04:40:22 PM by DrBermant »

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The Doctor is obviously right on.

Any elective surgery should be considered carefully. The potential benefits should be carefully weighed against the hazards.

In my case, surgery for cosmetic reasons would be an excessive risk. Other elective surgery such as a hip replacement would be harder to argue against because you would be trying to argue surgical risk against loss of mobility or function.

Rarely is the situation black and white, there is not always a well defined yes and no but a who lot of maybes, many shades of gray.

DrBermant

The Doctor is obviously right on.

Any elective surgery should be considered carefully. The potential benefits should be carefully weighed against the hazards.

In my case, surgery for cosmetic reasons would be an excessive risk. Other elective surgery such as a hip replacement would be harder to argue against because you would be trying to argue surgical risk against loss of mobility or function.

Rarely is the situation black and white, there is not always a well defined yes and no but a who lot of maybes, many shades of gray.

Even more obvious would be a gunshot wound or salvage of a limb's blood supply. Yes, many shades of gray is the art of surgical decision making and patient education about risks, benefits, and alternative methods of care.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024