Author Topic: upcoming surgery  (Read 3008 times)

mortx15

Hey, Im 20 years old and ill be getting surgery in less then two months to correct my gynecomastia. I have some breasts and puffy nipples. My surgeon told me that he will be taking out my breast tissue and doing alittle bit of liposuction. will my breast skin and nipple setttle down flat and look normal?  i feel like ill have some excess skin and its worryying me.  id appreciate any sort of feedback  

mort
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 12:15:31 AM by mortx15 »

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If you are young, healthy and have never been significantly overweight, then your skin should tighten and your areolar diameters should shrink when sufficient and appropriate amounts of tissue have been removed, particularly directly under the areola -- it is similar to letting air out of a balloon!

Dr Jacobs
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 12:41:19 PM by Dr. Elliot Jacobs »
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

mortx15

I guess its just hard for me to imagine since Ive been like this for so long. But that makes me feel a lot better. Thank you doctor.

DrBermant

Hey, Im 20 years old and ill be getting surgery in less then two months to correct my gynecomastia. I have some breasts and puffy nipples. My surgeon told me that he will be taking out my breast tissue and doing alittle bit of liposuction. will my breast skin and nipple setttle down flat and look normal?  i feel like ill have some excess skin and its worryying me.  id appreciate any sort of feedback  

mort

Please note the date of the original post:

Large areola can be from tissue stretched from breast and fat.  Deflate the envelope like letting air out of a balloon, and the diameter of the areola can decrease.

Check out the many before after pictures of this Areola / Nipple Gallery here, here, and here.  These results are typical for my sculpture of my patients.

I then updated that description with an actual demonstration on how air coming out of a balloon does not always result in a smaller circle or diameter:

Does it normally decrease (diameter) just because of gland removal? If so, how much?

The areola usually expands with bigger breasts.  Like a balloon, with deflation (surgery) there is a reduction in diameter unless there is a layer of remaining gland after gynecomastia surgery.  Roll your cursor over that text or image and you can see a drawing of gland that can be left behind after surgery.  I have seen many examples of gland adherent to the muscle areola complex that keeps the areola puffy and larger diameter.  That is why I prefer to target the gland first with my Dynamic Technique for Gynecomastia.

Check out the many before after pictures of this  Areola / Nipple Reduction Gallery, Areola Reduction Picture Gallery, and Pictures of Areola Reduced with Gynecomastia Surgery.  These results are typical for my sculpture of my patients.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Chest Surgery

I have just added some additional images to demonstrate this issue.

Here is a balloon demonstration of nipple / areola shrinkage typically seen with my gynecomastia surgery.  When a breast gets bigger, so does the diameter of the areola nipple complex.  Remove tissue from the breast and it is like this balloon deflation.  However, not all tissues shrink the same.  Tissue over stretched, older patients, scars, and gland remaining after gynecomastia surgery can limit this decrease.  Here is a demonstration of deflation with areola staying the same size.  That is why I prefer to target this gland first with my surgery.

Take your time to browse through the galleries of nipple areola pictures before and after gynecomastia surgery to see actual results for my patients.

Just how well your areola nipple skin will settle will depend on the original problem, your skin elasticity, how the surgery is done, after surgery care, and many other factors. Check this patient who came to me for Residual Puffy Nipples after Gynecomastia Surgery where the first doctor left all of that gland behind. The shrinkage could happen after I removed that excess gland and scar tissue stuck to the nipple areola complex.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

mortx15

it does help thank you. the diameter of my nipples arent bad, they are just pointy to the extent of them showing through my shirt.

DrBermant

it does help thank you. the diameter of my nipples arent bad, they are just pointy to the extent of them showing through my shirt.

You are quite welcome.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024