Author Topic: nipple length reduction - how is it performed?  (Read 4867 times)

Offline kbob

• Posting Member
Can you please explain how a long (not wide) nipple reduction is performed?
I would like to understand how this is done before I pursue such surgery.
I read somewhere that a V shaped cut is made, but I don't understand how that accomplishes a nipple length reduction. Wouldn't the nipple end up slanted to one side? Is it to retain a skin connection on one side to ensure sufficient blood supply? I imagine that the surgery is not that the nipple is completely cut of then cut in length and sewn back? I imagine that could cause it to die.
I have enclosed my amateur drawing on how I perceive the V shaped nipple reduction, but I suspect it is wrong.
Can you please describe how the length reduction is accomplished?
Thank you very much,
    Kevin

P.S. The nipple is long but quite thin in girth.

DrBermant

Can you please explain how a long (not wide) nipple reduction is performed?
I would like to understand how this is done before I pursue such surgery.
I read somewhere that a V shaped cut is made, but I don't understand how that accomplishes a nipple length reduction. Wouldn't the nipple end up slanted to one side? Is it to retain a skin connection on one side to ensure sufficient blood supply? I imagine that the surgery is not that the nipple is completely cut of then cut in length and sewn back? I imagine that could cause it to die.
I have enclosed my amateur drawing on how I perceive the V shaped nipple reduction, but I suspect it is wrong.
Can you please describe how the length reduction is accomplished?
Thank you very much,
    Kevin

P.S. The nipple is long but quite thin in girth.

There are many ways to reduce the length of long nipples. Techniques need to vary between men and women when breast feeding could be an issue. Here are actual Pictures During Long Nipple Reduction Surgery in Men. When the only contour problem is the nipple length, this is a single operation done under local anesthesia as you can see here in these Reducing Long Nipples Pictures Before and after Surgery. When gland and fat behind the nipple are part of the contour problem, this becomes a 2 stage process to manage Enlarged Male Nipples: Pictures Before and After Reduction.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline kbob

• Posting Member
There are many ways to reduce the length of long nipples. Techniques need to vary between men and women when breast feeding could be an issue. Here are actual Pictures During Long Nipple Reduction Surgery in Men. When the only contour problem is the nipple length, this is a single operation done under local anesthesia as you can see here in these Reducing Long Nipples Pictures Before and after Surgery. When gland and fat behind the nipple are part of the contour problem, this becomes a 2 stage process to manage Enlarged Male Nipples: Pictures Before and After Reduction.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

Thank you, but can you (or any of the supporting doctors?) please answer the technical aspect of this question? How is the V shape cut made? What part is cut and what part is retained to maintain blood supply? (I hope this is not some closely guarded trade secret :))
Thank you,
    Kevin

DrBermant

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

Thank you, but can you (or any of the supporting doctors?) please answer the technical aspect of this question? How is the V shape cut made? What part is cut and what part is retained to maintain blood supply? (I hope this is not some closely guarded trade secret :))
Thank you,
    Kevin

The pictures in the links I have given you show me actually making such a "V" cut and reconstructing the nipple. Did you even check the links and view the pictures?  Beyond that there are many variations possible. How much more detail beyond photos of the surgery being performed with before and after surgery examples are you looking for?

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

Offline kbob

• Posting Member

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

Thank you,
    Kevin

The pictures in the links I have given you show me actually making such a "V" cut and reconstructing the nipple. Did you even check the links and view the pictures?  Beyond that there are many variations possible. How much more detail beyond photos of the surgery being performed with before and after surgery examples are you looking for?

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

Hello Dr Bermant,
   Thank you again for your answer. Of course I looked at the links and the pictures in detail and I appreciate you providing them. Your site is really very informative. Unfortunately the images are so small (yes I did click on all the images to the right to see the enlarged version to the left) that I cannot tell from them what is being done. To a person that already roughly knows how this procedure is performed it would tell a lot, but to a laymen person like me it doesn't. Am I on the right track with my description (and drawing) of the V cut procedure?
   Thank you,
      Kevin

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There are different methods which can be employed.  For example, one method is to remove a "collar" (of skin only) close to the junction between the flat areolar skin and the nipple itself.  Then the edges are sutured together. 

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024