Author Topic: Questions to ask an endocrinologist  (Read 2590 times)

Offline amethyst tint

• Posting Member
I'm 39 and have had gynecomastia for four months (triggered, I believe, by a very brief course of herbal meds). I'm considering having surgery sometime in early 2011, but I want to make sure that the problem is fully stabilized first and that there is no reason not to go ahead with surgery.

I've been taking photos every two or three weeks to track my condition. It's hard for me to tell whether the G has worsened over the last few months. If I had to guess, I would say there might have been some slight enlargement since I first noticed the condition. The condition *seems* to have been more or less stable for the last month or two (again, it's hard for me to be objective). The soreness/achiness in my chest has mostly subsided, although I still have some mild achiness from time to time.

At my request, my family MD has referred me to an endocrinologist. Are there any questions I should ask him during my appointment? Maybe about his experience dealing with gynecomastia patients? (It was only after 3.5 months that my family MD mentioned that he'd never had a gyne patient before.) Essentially, what I would like to know is when I'm "in the clear" to have surgery (i.e., with minimal risk of re-growth or other problems).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I see many patients who develop gynecomastia related to sports supplements with pro-hormone ingredients.  In those patients, my recommendation is that they get off everything and see where their condition stands six months later.  Generally, by then, the endocrine axis should be recovered, particularly if the supplement use was brief and otherwise fairly benign. Your endocrinologist could re-check basic hormone levels at that point as well.  Additionally, if you're not feeling any tenderness or sensitivity in the nipple, the condition may be out of the acute ("florid") stage where it's being stimulated.

Hope that helps.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com