Author Topic: Alternative to compression vest  (Read 6935 times)

Offline gyne_nomore

• Posting Member
I had my surgery 10 days ago and I am using compression vests as per my doctor's instructions. My problem is that the vest is very uncomfortable on my slightly bulging stomach. Even after adjusting the velcro at the back the vest is very uncomfortable and hot. But only on my stomach. The compression on my chest is tight but bearable.
Can I wrap crepe bandages around my chest for the compression. I just tried it and the compression on the chest is comparable to that from the vest. And since my stomach is free, it is 100 times more comfortable.
Can I do this at night for sleeping?
Has any one tried it?
What do the surgeons on this forum say?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Steady compression on the chest tissues is vitally important -- but obviously one need not compress the abdomen as well.  If your vest has a front zipper or hooks and eyes, then perhaps you can loosen the bottom part of it to allow your abdomen more breathing room -- but don't lose the chest compression.

Wrapping Ace bandages around your chest cannot provide even compression as a vest would do -- and honestly it is much more of a hassle than just putting on a vest.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline gyne_nomore

• Posting Member
Thank you Dr Jacobs.

My vest has a zipper in the front but it zips up rather than down so can't loosen at the abdomen. There is velcro at the back which I have loosened and that makes it more bearable now.

I got my surgery done in Bangalore. I am very happy with the surgery, the hospital, the cost etc.

However, I feel good compression vests are just not available in India and Indian surgeons do not really pay any attention to this part (except telling you it is very important to wear them for as long as 6 months). In fact my surgeon has not even looked at my compression vest which I got from a vendor.

And now that the surgery is done, my doctor is so hard to reach that I find it easier to get answers on this forum than check with my doctor.

I wish I could just order this vest online from the US but I am told exact measurements need to be taken for a good vest.

Is there any way to ensure the right level of compression through bandages? It my not be as good as a vest but can I get decent compression through the bandages?
Putting it on is not a hassle as I have other people at home to help me.

Offline waves

• Silver Member
6 months?  Wow, most here say only 3 or 6 weeks.  I wore a "stage 1" vest for 3 weeks and then a "stage 2" vest for another 3 (although not full time).  I think even one of our resident surgeons (on this site) had gyne surgery and only wore his vest for 2 weeks!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024