Author Topic: Some complications before surgery!  (Read 1794 times)

Offline jptskj

• Posting Member
Dear Sir,

I have some of the question running in my mind. If you could tell me about those then I would be very grateful.

1. What is the effect of low Free T4 in the body? And Can the gynecomastia surgery be performed with low Free T4 in the patient?

My free T4 is 10.0 p mol/L Range 10.0-28.2

2.My platelets is 132,000 /cu mm. Range: 150,000-400,000. What would be the reasons for this? Can it cause the bleeding after surgery?

3. My ESR (wintrobe) is 10 mm/hr. Range: 0-9

4. How to identify the good surgeon for the surgery?

If a doctor is working in a renowned hospital then can we trust him?

I am eagerly waiting for your reply.

best regards............  

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I'm not sure if any of the other surgeons on the site will be willing or able to answer your questions, but as you've presented them, it's nearly impossible to address them, primarily because you've provided us with no other history.  The first thing I wonder is why you've had all of these tests.  Other than the platelet count, I wouldn't normally order any of these studies on a routine gynecomastia patient, and in fact, in the absence of valid reason for ordering tests in the typical young, healthy gynecomastia patient, I don't order much of anything. I know that some of the other surgeons do order some pre-operative studies routinely. 

As for identifying a good surgeon, ideally, you'll get some recommendations from others in your area who have been treated for the same condition. Alternatively, you could arrange for consultations with a few surgeons after calling around to see who does the surgery with regularity.  As for surgeons who work at a renowned hospital, you may be able to trust the institution and know that you'll be treated well in a safe manner, but this doesn't necessarily tell you about the skills of the surgeon.  Indeed, a number of the surgeons on this site operate out of their own surgicenter and not in a hospital at all, yet they are perhaps some of the best qualified to treat you for gynecomastia.  And "renowned" may be due to good marketing, though at least in the US, marketing alone cannot salvage a hospital with lots of problems.

Tell us more.

Rick Silverman

Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com