Author Topic: How long to wait until sport again?  (Read 2249 times)

Offline MAD King

• Posting Member
Hello,

I would like to get a surgery since quite a time, but I heard I have to quit sport for 6 weeks and that would kill me.
I am a weightlifter.

Thank you

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There are sacrifices to be made for everything.

In the case of gyne surgery, you cannot have your cake (the surgery) and eat it too (immediate exercise).

Gyne surgery is real surgery -- and you need time to recuperate and your body needs time to heal without additional stress from working out.  My usual routine is to request no strenuous exercise for a minimum of one month after surgery -- after that, exercise is allowed.  And for most people who exercise a lot, within a few weeks, you will be back to usual -- except that you will have a better looking chest for the rest of your life! 

I think that is a good trade-off.

Dr Jacobs.

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline MAD King

• Posting Member
Thank you Dr. Jacobs.
It will be hard, but I think after your encouragement, I am able to get through it.
Sad, that I am not in NY. I would choose you as my surgeon. Read good reviews about you.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Thanks for the kind words.

Good luck with your surgery -- choose your surgeon carefully.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I am a little more aggressive with my patients than Dr. Jacobs, mostly based on my own fitness addiction and nearly 20 years of doing this with patients.  There is a detailed instruction sheet on my website ("Getting back to Training"), but the basics are one week of rest, the second week is cardio only, and ramp that up as you get your endurance back.  I allow resistance training after two weeks, but no overhead maneuvers and no chest.  After three weeks, you can incorporate overhead maneuvers, and after four weeks, add in chest.  By six weeks, you're basically back to normal.  If a patient has any sort of problem (hematoma or seroma, primarily), we might modify this plan slightly. You should clear this with your surgeon, but it's worked in my practice, without any complications in the post-op period.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline MAD King

• Posting Member
I read that already on your website.
That is a very good advice, Dr. Silverman.

Thank you.

Now I have to find a good surgeon here in Nashville.

I got already one offer and that is so ridiculous. $6000 for that kind of surgery.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024