Author Topic: Surgery question?  (Read 2477 times)

Offline canadianmoobs123

• Bronze Member
Im 13 and want the surgery. They say it will go away in 1-3 years. I cant wait that long. The psychological pain is impossible to endure. Will I HAVE to wait or is it possible to minimize the time between today and me getting the operation?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I have operated on young men with gyne, from ages 12 - 18.  Acceptance for surgery depends upon how long one has had it, whether or not it is stable and on the maturity of the young man to accept surgery and its consequences (ie, a certain amount of pain). 

One can certainly argue that waiting cannot hurt and might result in decrease of the gyne and avoidance of surgery.  However, I have found that in cases of significant gyne which have been present and unchanged for two or more years, no amount of waiting will help.  I do not agree with many pediatricians who reassure their patients and tell them to wait until they are 18 -- as if that magical age would make the gyne disappear.  They simply do not understand the anguish gyne can cause and how it can affect a young man's self esteem during the teen years.

The final argument about gyne surgery at an early age (that it might recur after surgery) is simply not true.  I have not had one recurrence in all the young men that I have operated upon.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline canadianmoobs123

• Bronze Member
Thanks for your time sir.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You are most welcome -- I hope that I helped you.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I agree with Dr. Jacobs.  Gynecomastia that occurs during puberty will resolve in 95% of patients within 3 years from the time of onset.  So based on when you first noticed the problem, you should give it at least 3 years, so as possibly to avoid unnecessary surgery.  If, on the other hand, you've been dealing with this problem since you were 10, it's probably time to look for a surgeon.  I stand pretty firm on the 3 year rule with my patients, but I've operated on a number of 13 and 14 year olds with good results and no recurrence later.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline canadianmoobs123

• Bronze Member
I agree with Dr. Jacobs.  Gynecomastia that occurs during puberty will resolve in 95% of patients within 3 years from the time of onset.  So based on when you first noticed the problem, you should give it at least 3 years, so as possibly to avoid unnecessary surgery.  If, on the other hand, you've been dealing with this problem since you were 10, it's probably time to look for a surgeon.  I stand pretty firm on the 3 year rule with my patients, but I've operated on a number of 13 and 14 year olds with good results and no recurrence later.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman

Thanks, and yes I have had it since I was 10. Ill try and find a good surgeon.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024