Author Topic: How to stimulate collagen formation? - damaged fascia  (Read 1927 times)

Offline kbob

• Posting Member
Hello Doctors,
   Is there a way to purposefully stimulate formation of collagen and internal scar tissue? Are there materials that can be injected that would do this?
   During my operation the fascia at the bottom of my chest muscle was damaged and I can now clearly feel the muscle in that area "bulging out" when relaxed (bottom of the pectoralis major muscle). I have very little fat so it is clearly palpable. The thought I have is that injecting carefully over the surface of the muscle in that specific area a material that would cause collagen buildup (perhaps Radiesse?) could essentially "rebuild" the fascia, tighten the area and thus help. I've heard that Radiesse essentially creates a lattice structure for collagen buildup and I've heard that it tends to feel rather like hard and like scar tissue (and thus is not liked by some Doctors for cosmetic procedures), but it might be exactly what I am looking for. Or are there materials the human body "doesn't like" and responds to by formation of scar tissue?
   Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
   Regards,
       Kevin

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If indeed you truly have a tear in the fascia with muscle tissue bulging out, there is no injection or other treatment for it other than additional surgery.  This is akin to a hernia.  Treatment is surgical -- either stitches to repair the tear in the fascia or, if it is too big, a patch of fascia taken from elsewhere on your body or a patch with cadaver skin such as Alloderm.

You should speak to your surgeon about these possibilities.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024