Author Topic: post op question  (Read 1665 times)

Offline ihatepropecia

• Posting Member
Im 2 years post op. I actually like the appearance of my chest but the skin feels like its not attached to underlying fat if that makes sense. Is this something that all patients experience? It doesn't look loose, it just feels almost thinner than skin elsewhere on my body. What is causing this? and what are my options? thanks

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
In all my years of experience and discussions with my patients, I have never heard of this type of experience. There are certain areas of the body where the skin has fewer attachments (really fibrous attachments) to the underlying tissue.  The chest is one of these areas. The back and the feet, for example, have lots of fibrous attachments and hence do not slide over the underlying tissues.  Really cannot offer any other advice. 

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I have had a patient make a similar comment after surgery, and like Dr. Jacobs, I'm not sure what it means.  The subcutaneous tissue is less after surgery, and at least early on, the attachments to the skin from the deeper tissue are disrupted by the liposuction and excision process.  Over time, however, this all reattaches with scar tissue.  In fact, one goal of this surgery is to maintain the supple character of the skin over the chest, rather than have it stuck down in an abnormal fashion due to scar tissue, and we have patients massage the operative site as part of this effort. 

Remember that the goal of surgery is an improvement in the appearance.  If it feels different, that's less important...as long as it looks good!

Rick Sivlerman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline ihatepropecia

• Posting Member
thank you both for your replies. Maybe Im being paranoid. It helps so much that you guys are here to answer my questions, as ridiculous as some may be and I think I speak on behalf of all guys dealing with gyno. Its much appreciated.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
If you like the way you look have a beer and enjoy! Often after surgery when tissue is removed ie glandular tissue there is a different feel than nonoperative tissue. This happens everywhere in the body for instances after an exploratory abdominal operation you  have scarring always  which rarely results in the need a second surgery. Most cases its not a problem. If everything looks great declare victory and retreat.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024