Author Topic: Med that will increase the chance of gyne  (Read 1888 times)

Offline blissful0520

• Posting Member
Is is true that taking omeprazole ( med for acidic) will increase the chance of getting your chest big? I'm 5 months post op. Only liposuction done. Though there's a major improvement compared as before. Still Im not satisfied with the result. Anyway my dilemma now is that I'm required to take this pills but when I checked on it, it is listed to the meds that could have a side effect which is gyno so now I'm torn :(

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There are a huge number of drugs that mention gyne as a side effect.  The problem is that if you take one of those drugs, you are not "guaranteed" to have that side effect.  So continuing to take the drug -- assuming you need it -- is no guarantee that you will re-develop gyne.  It simply remains a possibility that no person can predict.

Sorry can't be more helpful.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Omeprazole is one of many drugs on a long list of drugs that have been associated with gynecomastia, but it's certainly not one that I worry about with patients.  Cimetidine has a stronger association.  There are other options, but if you haven't noticed a problem related to the medication specifically, it's unlikely that it would lead to recurrence.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery