Author Topic: Post surgery question  (Read 2176 times)

Offline DS

• Posting Member
I have a couple of general questions that I failed to ask my doctor, post gynecomastia surgery...

Is there a way to reduce the size of the scar, or visibilty, under the areola from excision?

Also, what would cause slight indentation where the incision was placed, and is this something that disappears with time?

Thanks

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
In most cases, the scar fades on its own without intervention. There are scar products that may increase the rate of maturation of the scar, such as silicone gel sheets and creams.  Also, massage can help with the fading of scars. 

Regarding the appearance of the scar--You'll have to ask your surgeon at your next appointment. Most slight contour issues resolve with time.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline DS

• Posting Member
Thank you, Dr. Silverman

I have more unrelated question, if you don't mind answering...

It's been just over two weeks since my surgery and one thing that concerns me, is that I feel a small lump on the right side of my chest, above the nipple leading towards my armpit. Could this be a hematoma? Or some kind of scar tissue developing? Thanks again

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
A small lump at this point could be any number of things--a small collection of blood or fluid, or just a lump of "indurated" tissue--hard from swelling.  You should ask your surgeon when you see him, since if it's a collection, he might want to drain it, or if it's just firm tissue, you may need to massage it.

RS

Offline DS

• Posting Member
Hi Dr. Silverman

So the surgeon who performed my surgery suggested that it could be fat deposit or scar tissue

Does that sound right to you?

He also suggested to massage the area and demonstrated a technique. To be quite honest, I'm three weeks post surgery and my chest is still pretty sore to touch.

Thanks

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
Yes, that's correct.  Some discomfort at this point is also still normal.  Massage will help that as well.

RS

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024