Author Topic: Post Surgery massaging  (Read 1873 times)

Offline st23

• Posting Member
I am 16 days post op and will see my doctor in 2 weeks which will be exactly 1 month post surgery.I've already seen him 2 days and 7 days after surgery. So far,there has been no mention of massaging the area. Would being 1 month removed be a good place to start the process? Is sometimes massaging not even a relevant issue and can be skipped completely if not needed? I'm just curious if this is a probable subject that comes up 2 weeks when I see him.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I find some patients benefit from massage but individuals who are active rarely need to massage. Massage is not detrimental in an active patient so if you feel better massaging the area check with your surgeon then if they say its fine by all means start. I use compression vests after surgery to position the tissue in the appropriate position while healing occurs.If there is excess skin or a re-positioning of the areola massage
may in some instances not be helpful.In general massage is benign and if you are enthusiastic about it and it is not contraindicated it should be fine.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
In most cases, I talk to my patients about massage at their one-week follow up.  Massage has the potential to help with a number of issues, but the thing that patients notice the most is the sense of tightness in the chest, particularly when the hands are raised above the head.  Some patients also notice tethering of the skin when the arms are raised.  Massage helps to break up underlying scar that can form, so that the skin remains supple as it moves over the chest muscles.  I suggest starting massage after that one-week visit and doing it as tolerated--since early on, it can be a bit uncomfortable for some patients. 

I agree with Dr. Pensler that there's little down-side, but it's good to confirm your plan with your surgeon.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery