Author Topic: Just seen UK NHS Surgeon and this is what he said to me?  (Read 1865 times)

Offline worriedgynopatient

• Posting Member
Hi guys,

I'm new to this website, but I've read through alot of the posts over the years. Just to introduce myself,I'm 21 and have suffered from gynecomastia since the age of 13. To cut a long story short - it's ruined my teenage life. I'm of a slim build and they're very prominent.

I went to see my GP about it back in Jan this year. He recognsied it as gyno straight away and (eventually)referred to me to see a surgeon.

I went to see a general surgeon 2 weeks ago. He asked me all the standard questions etc, and said pretty much the same thing as the GP. He did say it was a ''mild form'' though, and that surgery has all these risks and blah blah... basically trying to deter me. I was adamant though, as even though I don't exactly have massive breasts, I have pronouced glandular tissue under my nipples, with fat as well and it ''hangs'' from my chest. I've had friends grab them, people laugh at them and I've never been able to wear a tshirt in public/go to the beach/swimming pool.

So the general surgeon referred me to a breast surgeon who I saw today. I had an ultrasound scan and it was confirmed I had small amounts of glandular tissue under both nipples. There was fat there too.

He again tried to deter me from it. He said that you're type of skin is prone to getting keloid scars, and that surgery will risk scarring. I said I didn't care, as long as these damn breasts are removed from me. Then he said he could do liposuction. I told him that would hardly help as its GLANDULAR TISSUE, the fat is pretty minimal !!

After a while, he finally said okay, he'll now refer me to a plastic surgeon. And that when I speak to him, I should go in with an ''open mind and not rule out just liposuction''.

Have I done the right thing people? Am I being silly for really pushing gland removal as well as the lipo? Should I just say fine, do the lipo?

I am a student and there is no way I can fork out £4000 grand to go private. This is my only option without question!

Sorry for the rant, but I feel pretty alone about this, I can't talk to my rents/friends about this as its such a sensitive issue. I hope you understand   

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Generally, the gynecomastia of puberty of the sort you describe is mostly glandular with a little bit of fat, so liposuction will NOT provide adequate improvement.  That said, you want to have it done by a surgeon who is experienced in treating gynecomastia.  If you're able to find that through the UK NHS, then you'll be all set. Of course, it may take as long to have the surgery if you're on a waiting list as it would for you to save the money to have it done privately.  I have had several patients from the UK come to Boston in the past, as the cost was actually less (including airfare) as it would have cost in the UK by a surgeon who did very few gynecomastia procedures.  In the meantime, you're doing the right thing in trying to have the proper procedure--sooner or later.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com