Author Topic: At a complete loss  (Read 1938 times)

Offline patrickwkimball

• Posting Member
I'm becoming pretty hopeless with my situation.  I've had gyno off and on since I was about 17, I'm 34 now.  Had gyno surgery 2 1/2 years ago on both sides but a considerable amount has built back up in my right breast (for some reason it has not come back at all in the left).  So saw an endo a year ago and he discovered I had Low T and we thought maybe the imbalance between T and E had caused it.  So now on a test therapy gel and gyno on right side has increased more even still.  Doctor says I must be extremely prone to converting estrogen.  Tried a number of drugs to counter and found one that works to stop it, Femara, the drug women use for breast cancer.  Problem is that not only does it counter gyno it counters all the positive effects in regards to mood I receive from the test.  So not only am I extremely irritable and sometimes depressed on Femara, I tend to think being on a anti-cancer drug the rest of my life is not good for my body either.

I just don't know what to do anymore and I know I can't keep having revision after revision.  My only hope is that after another surgery it doesn't come back in the right like it hasn't in the left.

Have any doctors experienced this with any of their patients?  Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
You should be sure that your hormonal levels are balanced before having another procedure.  In theory, at least, gynecomastia should not recur if testosterone levels are in a normal (albeit supplemented) range, and while lowering or blocking estrogens may be required in your case, that's not the case always.  You might also try the Femara or an alternative during the early post-op period and then discontinue it to see if it's required long term.  Your testosterone levels should be maintained all the time--You shouldn't be "cycling" in any way--You're on replacement, not performance enhancement doses. 

Otherwise, it's difficult to comment the adequacy of your original procedure or the best option for current treatment.

Rick Silveman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline patrickwkimball

• Posting Member
Thanks Dr. Silverman, I guess I need to start testing levels consistently and try to get a handle on it before I get another revision.

Speaking of revisions, in your experience, is it difficult to avoid scarring or any other abnormalities on a 2nd surgery?  Have some anxiety about the toll a 2nd surgery may take on the appearance of my chest/nipples.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I have not found excessive scarring to result in most revisions.

RS

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024