Author Topic: Going away after 4 years?  (Read 1635 times)

Offline BlueKiwi

• Posting Member
I'm 17 and I've had gynecomastia for 4 years now. Today I paid a visit to my GP who was kind of unimpressed with my story. He said it resolves itself in most cases, even though I specifically said I had gyno for 4 years already. Anyway, he sent me to an endocrinologist and I'm going to see him as soon as I can.

My question is.. will the endocrinologist recommend surgery? Considering he's an expert and I've had gyno for 4 years, for christ's sake... After all these stories I read on the forum I find it impossible for my gyno to be treated with anything other than surgery.

I think I'm gonna go crazy if he recommends "exercise" ( I'm in a decent shape now).

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Without photos I cannot say much. I think it is reasonable for young patients such as yourself to see an endocrinologist prior to surgery.There are several causes of gynecomastia and prior to any surgery it is important to rule out any of the serious  problems either by history or in younger patients with specific tests. If you have idiopathic gynecomastia you would be a surgical candidate.When I see a young patient I typically have them see an endocrinologist or have the appropriate blood work performed prior to surgery. So in a long winded way what I am saying is relax, it sounds as if you are getting appropriate advice.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Gynecomastia that develops during puberty typically resolves within 3 years of onset in 95% of instances. The other 5% don't resolve on their own, and surgery is usually the only effective way to correct the condition.  Your situation may be mild, with the resultant lack of enthusiasm by your GP.  If you're concerned, it sounds like the next step would be with an endocrinologist, but the decision for surgery is your own, if the appearance bothers you enough.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery