Author Topic: ROM?  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Average Joe

• Posting Member
I am a 50-yr old 4 days post-op gyno surgery.  I was instructed to periodically move arms in all directions to maintain range of motion.  How important is this to be done at this early point in the healing process?  Whenever I try to raise my arms past parallel over my head feels like my chest is REALLY pulling and am doing more harm than good.  Would this not be better to focus on at week 2 after initial healing has taking place??  I explained this to my surgeon and he said it needed to be done immediately to maintain ROM and prevent being frozen.  What do you advise your patients concerning stretching on week one?

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
As a general principle once you select a surgeon you should follow his/her advice. It is inappropriate to shop around for answers to questions that should be directed to your surgeon in the immediate post operative period. If you are uncomfortable with the expertise of a potential surgeon do not have him/her operate on you.The specifics of each case are different and I often alter my typical routine.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
You can follow your surgeon's instructions and still listen to your body.  The range of motion exercises can be done to the extent that it is just slightly uncomfortable, and with each day, your range should improve slowly.  You don't need to do something that is terribly uncomfortable or painful.  I don't push my patients to do this sort of motion the first week, but I agree with Dr. Pensler, that you need to stick with the recommendations of the surgeon you've chosen and do your best to follow those instructions without causing yourself any harm.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Average Joe

• Posting Member
Thank-you for your comments doctors! I fully trust my surgeon and am not shopping for answers, it is just very helpful knowing others have experienced similiar issues and what they have done.

One more symptom if you would please comment on, is that I have noticed some bruising on my penis along with a "fuller" look in my groin and scrotum.  I initially noticed it day 2 after my first shower and now is day 5 and has not gotten any worse but also has not resolved.  There is no pain in this area just the bruising and fullness which I plan on showing my surgeon during my first post-op visit.  I had no abdominal liposuction just gyno alone.  Have you noticed this to occur in your patients before?  Thanks again for your time!

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
It's common after abdominal liposuction.  None of my gynecomastia patients have ever mentioned it, but not unimaginable. 

RS

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024