Author Topic: Consultation completed, Surgery scheduled!  (Read 4245 times)

Offline Sarge51

• Posting Member
Just a little background on me before my post:

I've dealt with gynecomastia from the early age of 14, I am now in my early 30s. I decided to go through with the procedure after dealing with so many years of being uncomfortable. In my opinion, something most men take for granted like simply throwing on a close fitting shirt can be one of the most complex and uncomfortable things for people that deal with gynecomastia.

I lucked out and stumbled onto this site after a few search results from Google. Almost every post I've viewed thus far has been extremely helpful/informative.

Perhaps this post can encourage some of the users browsing this forum that were like me for so many years (just dealing with it, instead of trying to work up the courage to do something about it).

I did quite a bit of research on board certified plastic surgeons in the area (Illinois) and found one that seemed more than qualified. His experience from years of performing gynecomastia procedures alone assured me that he knew what he was doing. That alone made me confident to book a consultation with him.

It couldn't have gone any more smoothly than it did. Introduced himself, gave me a chance to explain the (obvious) situation. He took some photos from different angles just to see the extend we were dealing with. I didn't really know just how much of the area was consumed with actual gland until he encouraged me to take a feel for myself. I felt the gland under the skin and realized how much I had been trying to fool myself thinking it could have gone away with simple diet/weight training. Keep in mind, I've been weight training since the age of 15, so I was no stranger to clean diet/exercise routines.

The Dr. then proceeded to take the consultation to another room where he uploaded the photos onto the computer. That's when you can really take a look at just how good/bad the situation really is, since I will assume that most men dealing with gynecomastia do not feel comfortable enough to remove their shirts and take photos of themselves from different angles. From there, he used Photoshop to give me a general idea of how realistic (keep that in mind, the Dr. did not display unreal results) the results would be once the gland was removed and liposuction of the area was performed.

He went over the procedure from A to Z, allowing pauses for me to ask any/all questions that were on my mind. Keep in mind that a lot of the questions I had were answered simply by browsing these forums. So I wasn't going into this completely uneducated on the subject. I decided to book a surgery date the same day of the consultation with the mentality of 'The sooner the better' because I'm simply tired of waiting to correct this. They presented me with a packet and went over it in complete detail as to how to prep for the surgery date, and now to prep for the post-op/healing days to come.

The surgery is booked for late November 2012, so I am very eagerly awaiting the day. In the meantime, I went ahead and started purchasing items that were mentioned just so I'm not scrambling around last minute to put them together. I hope this post can inform/help others in either making that final decision or preventing them from having cold feet leading up to the day their new life begins.

So far I've picked up the following (I will add more items as I gather them);

Ace Cold Compress: $10.00 (each) USD from Walmart.
It has a nice feel to it, you won't need a towel due to messy ice bags leaking.
I purchased two, one for each side. Icing the area will help with the swelling.

Back Rest: $24.99 USD Bed Bath and Beyond.
You're going to need to sleep slightly upright for the first portion of recovering. I didn't want to deal with stacking pillows simply because they can start to slide out of position and may be uncomfortable. This will stay in place, as well as keep you comfortable. There is a little pouch on the side to rest a water bottle so you don't have to stretch out too much or pester someone to constantly bring you water.

Soft button up shirt: $10.00 USD Walmart.
The day of surgery they will tell you to wear a comfortable button-up shirt (simply because they don't want you to raise your arms over your head to put a shirt on right after having the procedure done). I currently wear a Large sized shirt, but I purposely purchased a 2X so that I can fit comfortable no matter how much they wrap or bandage the area, not to mention compression vest will be on you at that point so it can all fit under there comfortably.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, I hope it has helped for some folks out there that may have been curious. Keep in mind, A LOT of this information can be found on the site if you're patient and have time to browse around.

Offline Sarge51

• Posting Member
I'm slowly continuing to purchase more items before the surgery takes place.

I've been reading that people react differently to anesthesia. Some completely fine, while others feeling far too nauseous to even stomach anything. Some have suggested regular saltines just to hold you over that initial day post-op.

There will be a 72 hour waiting period where I will not be able to remove the vest, nor shower after the procedure. A quick and simple solution was to purchase multipurpose cleansing wipes. Obviously it won't be as good as a shower, however it will be somewhat more sanitary than being without any type of cleaning for 3 consecutive days.

Saltines: $1.00-$2.50 USD practically sold at any super market.
As mentioned above, this will be something to hold you over just in the case that you aren't able to stomach much right after the procedure as far as solid food.

Multipurpose cleaning cloths: $5.00 USD Walmart.
The pack I purchased came with 48 cloths that will last more than enough until I am able to remove the vest and actually be able to shower after the procedure.

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
Best wishes for your surgery. Keep us informed.

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
Your procedure is coming up soon right?

Offline Sarge51

• Posting Member
It sure is, greatlakes!

It is set for this Monday 19th of Nov. It's just a matter of time before that day rolls around.
I'm enjoying the weekend, and doing my best to avoid the cold weather so that I don't catch a cold or anything else that can cause me to postpone the surgery date.

I've also gathered a few more items to prep for the day, as well as post-op.
Sadly, I'm posting this from my smartphone do I won't be able to be fancy and post pictures, lol.

I picked up a comfortable pair of slipper-like shoes that I will be wearing the day of the procedure. This way, I can slip my feet in without having to need help with someone putting on my sneakers after the procedure is done.

I purchased an XL pair of sweat pants as well. I don't know if the vest will tuck into the pants or not, so might as well be extra comfortable for the 45-60 minute drive back home.

One-a-day multi-vitamins were recommended to me to speed up the healing process. I've been taking them for one week now so that the effects can kick in during the healing process. NOTE: The vitamin must have LESS THAN 30ui of Vitamin E!

This is extremely important as too much Vitamin E can cause your blood to thin, and you font want that during your surgery day!

The only thing now is, the wait. A lot of people complain about being nervous or anxious as they wait for the day. I'm surprisingly taking it very casual. I'm sure nerves will set in as I'm minutes away, but it is just tough to be nervous about something that will benefit me in many, many ways. Physical and mental relief to get this finally off my chest.

I couldn't resist, I had to make that cheesy "off my chest" joke. :)

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
You should be all done now. Let us know how it went with your Chicago doctor. 

Yes - I switched to the mens one a day vitamin as well from my handful I normally take.

Offline Sarge51

• Posting Member
I was all done at 4pm yesterday, but didn't really have the energy to sit at the desk and update you guys.

All is well, the procedure went perfectly. I know a lot of people say that it is done before you know it, but it really is.

I remember the Dr. and nurse talking to me, then I was out like a light. Woken up and helped into my vest.

Do NOT be alarmed, there will be leaking the first night. If you're not a fan of blood, then do yourself a favor and don't look at the area, lol.

You WILL need someone to help you out the first day, maybe even the second day. I'm doing pretty well, just did a 30 minute walk outside to get the blood moving.

I will update you guys a little more once I'm feeling 'myself' again. I'm not a fan of painkillers, so they kind of make me feel wonky or out of it.

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member
I was all done at 4pm yesterday, but didn't really have the energy to sit at the desk and update you guys.

All is well, the procedure went perfectly. I know a lot of people say that it is done before you know it, but it really is.

I remember the Dr. and nurse talking to me, then I was out like a light. Woken up and helped into my vest.

Do NOT be alarmed, there will be leaking the first night. If you're not a fan of blood, then do yourself a favor and don't look at the area, lol.

You WILL need someone to help you out the first day, maybe even the second day. I'm doing pretty well, just did a 30 minute walk outside to get the blood moving.

I will update you guys a little more once I'm feeling 'myself' again. I'm not a fan of painkillers, so they kind of make me feel wonky or out of it.

I ready your post about not wanting to take painkillers. I applaud your commitment to be drug free.

Heck, I don't even drink alcohol but when I had shoulder surgery, I had some pretty heavy drugs. I don't think anyone would blame you when surgery is involved as far as drugs are concern.

Anyway, when I had my shoulder surgery, the place rented me a gameready system which is like an continuous icing system. I know to buy one is like over $3,000 but I saw cheaper version of a game ready system which might work.

polarproducts.com/polarshop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=20&idcategory=26

You fill the cooler up with ICE and a little water and I believe it has a water pump that will circulate ice cold water to the effected area.

This could help you manage the pain without the pills.

Hope this helps.

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member

Yep- blood. I did not have drains - but I did bleed that night when I got home to sleep - right though the bandages, the vest, a top sheet and bottom sheet, and a mattress cover - into the mattress. Then the bruising was bad for me as well.

Let us know how you are doing - hope you thanksgiving is bearable.

Offline Sarge51

• Posting Member
You pretty much nailed it, greatlakes.

I'm very thankful that I will be able to take a shower tomorrow at 4pm!

I'm not much for eating, but it will be nice to see family tomorrow!

I have a follow up (first post op) appointment with my Dr. on the 26th. The best advice I can give as of now is, don't be stuck in a mindset that you are wounded. Instead, be active without being too extreme. Use common sense, I did 40 minutes on the treadmill this morning. Tomorrow will be 50 minutes, Friday is set for 60 minutes. This will be the goal time for every other treadmill cardiovascular session. I kept a quick walking pace on there.

I am doing my very best to keep you guys informed. I will do a much better job once I'm a few more days into the healing process.

The icing portion was only for the first 24hrs. The most "painful" part thus far is the vest digging into my armpits, but just powering through it. I will sit through days even weeks of uncomfortable moments in order to fix this defect.

Also, if you have a few weeks prior to surgery... PLEASE do yourself a favor and lose as much of the belly as you can. Since the vest is going to be one or two sizes smaller than what you normally wear so that you can get that compression needed to help everything come back together.

Happy Holiday, guys!
Sarge

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
Congrats, Sarge!

I was going to tell you to add a back-scratcher to the list, but you've already had the surgery. Here's to a speedy recovery!  ;D

Offline Sarge51

• Posting Member
Hi_Top, today I felt like my puppy when my sister was kind enough to scratch my back. It felt so relaxing that the hair on my head stood up, lol.

I'm not sure if puppies feel as nice as I did today after my back was scratched, but I'm going to treat my puppy to so many back and behind the ear scratches as I gain more mobility in my arms. :)

I would definitely agree with you on the back scratcher recommendation!

Recovery is going well, I'm being realistic though. It's only been a few days, but I'm not just laying in bed all the time either.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024