Author Topic: Weightlifting question for Dr. Silverman  (Read 1530 times)

Offline jlfmb

• Posting Member
A question for Dr. Silverman, or anybody else who's familiar with weightlifting. This post is a reply to a post from Dr. Silverman, which is excerpted at bottom.

What are the guidelines for getting back to exercise at 4 weeks? Are compound movements allowed, or do I have to stick to machines? Can I do deep backsquats? Deadlifts? Pull-ups? Etc. What about weight/rep combinations? Should I avoid high reps? I assume the weight should be low, and gradually increase.

--------
"Many of my patients are gym fanatics, and many of my patients would start to exercise on their own earlier than 4 or 6 weeks, if that were my recommendation.  So I am very specific in structuring what they can do and when they can do it.  Taking this approach, I have had NO late hematomas, NO late seromas (fluid collections), and NO contour issues. I have one patient on whom I did a revision, including his peri-areolar skin reduction, who feels like his scars have worsened when he started to do chest exercises even 6 months after surgery.  I don't have an explanation for this one patient.  Other than him, I haven't had any other patients with scar issues related to exercise." 

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
By four weeks, I allow my patients to train all body parts.  I allow resistance training after two weeks, avoiding exercises that directly engage the chest until four weeks. In proceeding, I encourage patients to go cautiously, starting with easily managed weights and proceeding as comfort and strength permit.  If something is uncomfortable or painful, it should be avoided.  The patients who tend to be more aggressive in resuming their training regimen tend to be reasonably adept at listening to their bodies.  Compound maneuvers are fine, as long as they're controlled and comfortable. Similarly, leg training should progress in a normal manner, but remembering that weights should be decreased early on (you've just had surgery and taken a little time off!) and advanced as comfort and strength permit.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery