Author Topic: Seeing a psychologist/therapist before surgery.  (Read 1490 times)

Offline JamesDoe

Hi there,

I had a question relating to whether it is important to see a psychologist/therapist in the lead up to getting surgery?

Certainly having gynecomastia has affected my self esteem, but it's the only physical thing that holds me back personally.  Aside from that I'm pretty well adjusted, sociable and a 'regular guy'.   It seems from reading on here that getting the condition corrected seems to do wonders for one's own self confidence.  I guess I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth the cost of seeing a psych as well in the lead up.   

Thanks,

James.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
It's not necessary for most patients to have psychological counseling prior to undergoing correction of gynecomastia, unless there are other underlying issues.  One primary concern we face as plastic surgeons is the possibility that our patients may be troubled by "Body Dysmorphia," in which case the patient may be troubled by a very mild (or non-existent!) deformity, in which case the surgery may not remedy the patient's concerns.  With most gynecomastia patients, however, the deformity is present and obvious, and in most cases, correction remedies the situation, both physically and psychologically. 

If you feel compelled to speak to someone, then it may be a good idea. But if you're just thinking it's something that you are supposed to do, it's not really necessary.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com