Author Topic: Seriously considering revision after ten years...  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Reeferon

So here's is my story.

Ten years ago, at 18,  the negative emotions that I had about my gynecomastia were so great that I was even considering suicide.  
Shortly after  I underwent glandular tissue removal with a local plastic surgeon.  I do not believe that the surgeon was experienced in this surgery because the results were unsatisfactory.  

At this point I decided to work on my perception of the problem because the surgery just didn't work.  So I started working out and seeing a therapist.
I have worked out on and off since then and I am pretty decent shape right now. (The time when I was the most happy with my body was when I was Crossfitting)  
When I have become very committed to working out and my body changed significantly, I stopped because it all felt so empty.  I was filling a void with something superficial;  I  just couldn't finish filling that void with extreme fitness.

I have seen a number of therapists over the years and have even studied psychology for my bachelor's degree.  So I have done a lot to change my perception and knowledge of the situation.  I pretty much just accepted my body and dealt with it by being very choosy as to when and where I take my shirt off.

My dating life has been one of many ups and downs because I feel that I sell myself short and end up dating women who I'm am not all that initially attracted to in the first place.  Women find me attractive and I do not have trouble getting a date; this has proved to be a protective factor in my self image.

Anyways...

On November 1st I was diagnosed with stage 1 testicular cancer and a week later I had surgery to remove my left testicle.  It looks like I am going to be OK because there is a 80% cure rate with surgery of my particular type of cancer.
This surgery brought about a whole slew of emotions on for me (as one would imagine).  It also stirred up some past resentments with gynecomastia because of feeling less masculine with only one testicle left.

Since having gone through the cancer ordeal I have decided that i want to have a follow up gynecomastia surgery with what I can find to be the best surgeon out there.  I am sick and tired of feeling so negatively about my chest and I want to do give it one last shot with the best surgeon I can find.

Thanks for letting me share.  
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:25:17 AM by Reeferon »

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
First, hope that things continue to go well with your cancer treatment and that you will be among the 80% who are cured.

I have seen many patients who went through your type of situation -- first with poor surgical results and then a time of reflection, and ultimately a decision to seek help for revision surgery.  Bear in mind, revision surgery is more difficult and less predictable than primary gyne surgery -- mainly due to the presence of scar tissue which results from the healing after the initial surgery. You should take your time to research the best possible physician for your revision operation.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024