Author Topic: slow gyno  (Read 2294 times)

Offline rbnk

I took testosterone and various other oral steroids between 2007 and 2010. I battled with sore nipples/slight gyno throughout but managed to keep it at bay with nolva and letro. I stopped steroids and bodybuilding for about 2 years and the gyno seemed to have completely gone by then, I couldnt feel the hard craters behind my nipples at all. I then started working out again and did 5 weeks of dianabol - I did use letro alongside but gyno seemed to flare up in left nipple a bit. Eventually I ran out of letro and just tried going a low carb diet for two weeks which helped considerably. For the next few weeks I thought it was basically gone. Then I got a pretty bad knock from one of my kids messing about and it hurt for days, it seemed to grow a bit more and then it would just always get knocked by kids fooling around or when they hug me etc. - it was only in the one nipple (in 2007/2008 it had been mostly my other nipple which had a really bad flare but that seems almost non existent now). I put up with this new sensitivity and slight lump I could feel for about another year, then I started working out again and decided to take anavar to help gain muscle but keep estrogen down. I thought this would be OK for my nipple and I took it with 2.5mg letro a day just to be sure, but after 4 weeks I had finished both drugs, my nipple had not got any better in that time. Another month later (which brings us to now) the pain and gyno in my left nip has got progressively sorer and I realise now it is visible when looking in the mirror, even with a tshirt on, it flicks upwards slightly. My concern is that the letro did not really help on cycle - I was expecting it to reduce the gyno but the gyno seemed to be getting steadily worse anyway, regardless of the fact anavar does not aromatise. Is it normal that this nipple has been sensitive for about 2 years now? Is gyno pain supposed to go after the initial formation of the tissue? I am thinking now I don't really want to take letro as it wasnt doing anything in the 4 weeks I had it, and is my next option nolva? I am reluctant to take this because of the side effects it has on me.. terrible skin, dizziness and depression. This has been very prominent the 3 times I took it between 2007 and 2010. But I don't want surgery either, firstly because i would no doubt just start growing the gyno again afterwards, secondly because it doesnt look THAT bad I dont think it would be worth it. I would just like you advice on the best action to take to stop its growth and pain now before it gets any worse. Would NHS be unwilling to help if I admit it has stemmed from using steroids? I wouldn't like steroid use to be on my record and cause me to lose my job or anything. Would it be worth claiming I have never used steroids, only off the shelf testosterone boosters etc.?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
My first bit of advice would be to discontinue the steroids, the letrizole, the novladex, and anything else that you think may be contributing to your problem. I'm not sure what your bodybuilding goals are, but it sounds like you're mostly a recreational bodybuilder, and the drugs have provided more problems than they're worth--unless you're looking to go up against Phil Heath some time in the future.  You need to let your body return to normal hormonal levels and see if the condition resolves within about six months to a year.  If it's not improved at that point, then you may need surgery to correct it. Obviously, the surgery is aimed at improving the appearance.  In most cases, the pain associated with gynecomastia is also resolved with the surgery.  Unfortunately, that's not guaranteed, and additionally, the pain may not go away even after you've discontinued the various contributory drugs.  Consultation with your primary care doctor and perhaps an endocrinologist may be in order, but you haven't really mentioned your age or other factors that might be contributing to your condition. 

I can't comment on NHS coverage for your procedure, but if you're highly concerned about the appearance of your chest, you would certainly be at the mercy of the surgeon doing the procedure and his or her level of experience.  If you've invested in the drugs to build your body (and to cause the gynecomastia), the food, protein, supplements and gym time to develop your physique, you may need to invest in correction of the problem if you want any sort of assurance that the outcome will be favorable.  I would not suggest that you withhold information from your caregivers on the outside chance that the procedure would be covered by insurance.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline rbnk

Thanks for your response. I can confirm that I spent approx 13 months on no medication whatsoever but the pain and slight lump caused by previous medication did not fade in that time. I then started taking the anavar thinking "it's anavar, wont aromatise, so I wont make myself any worse" however that is what's happened. Perhaps I need to question the legitimacy of the anavar. I will take your advice and see if it resolves itself after a few months now that I am on no medication. Like I say I cannot consider surgery at this point, on further mirror-checks I think it is difficult to notice.
The frustrating thing is I have a consistent urge to use steroids again.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024