Author Topic: Massage Post Op  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Chadly

• Posting Member
Could I have your opinions on post op massaging of my chest to reduce swelling snd scar tissue. I've been instructed to mssssge 3 times per day for 10 mins each session.  I have been doing it now for 2 weeks starting 1 week post op. I have scar tissue built up quite bad in one area which has not changed in the last 2 weeks of massage. I'm also wondering if I could be doing more damage than good in that area. Could I have you opinion on kenalog treatment if this doesn't  go down in the next few months. Thanks

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
As a general rule incisions and also by default the deeper tissues exhibit increased redness and collagen content over the first month wounds looking their reddest at one month.As the various building blocks continue to mature the incision and scars lighten superfically and soften. So basically things get worse before they get better.The time course for how long it takes to get better is highly variable ,there are a  large number of factors which effect the timing .One of the factors that can accelerate maturation is massage.The extent to which massage accelerates scar maturation is dependent on multiple factors that are just to numerous to mention in the space here. So it does not hurt and it probably helps a bit but is variable from patient to patient.In the addition the frequency,duration and the techniques involved in massage are variable. Two weeks is a bit too soon to assess the effectiveness of your treatment , a bit more frequent and/or a bit longer would not hurt for the massage.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024