Author Topic: Pentoxifylline and Tamoxifen Prior th Surgery  (Read 2165 times)

Offline fsugrad

• Posting Member
I have been taking tamoxifen at 20 mg daily at the direction of my endo for gynecomastia.  I am also taking pentoxifylline at 400 mg three times daily for another matter at the direction of my urologist.

My question is whether it is safe to proceed with gyno surgery while taking these medications and if not, how long should I be off the these medications?

I have battled this for the past three years and while the tamox does help with the pain it has not reduced its size.  I am intent of having surgery within the next month or two.

Thanks for any help

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
This is something that you need to discuss with the prescribing physicians.  Tamoxifen would be fine, presuming that you're taking something prescribed by your doctor and not something you bought in the gym parking lot.  Pentoxifylline has been associated with gynecomastia, but it's not a common causative agent, so I don't know how to advise you on that.  I don't know anything about the rest of your history, so these are things you need to discuss with your doctors and your surgeon.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery