Author Topic: Just the way things are...  (Read 4366 times)

Offline MrSeb

• Posting Member
I was recently diagnosed with having a mild case of Gynaecomastia after being referred to a breast clinic after reporting a lump in both nipples. They asked a lot of questions and tested for all types of nasty conditions including possible but rare male breast cancer. After all test results were in all they could says was that as non of the known causation factors relate to me, i.e. I do not smoke recreational substances, I do not take anabolic steroids and I'm not suffering from anything nasty, that it was idiosyncratic, and will probably get better on its own?

The consultant certainly did not suggest surgery or the use of something called 'Tamoxifem'. I'm glad about the surgery bit as I do not believe in un-necessary surgical procedures, as my condition is not life threatening, I just guess I'll have to accept that this is just the way things are.

Can anyone enlighten me as to whether continued growth is something I should expect, or will it just stop as the consultant stated back in December?

I will try to include an image of my chest, as I said it is only mild, and I have seen a good number of more severe cases during my on-line research following this consultation.

hammer

Welcome to the forum.

Did you get your hormones checked to see if you have low testosterone or anything else going on? If not that would be your your next step. You would want to see a endocrinologist for this.

As you said, there is no need to go through surgery, and there are many of us here that have decided not to for different reasons, me being one of them, but you may want to look into things a little more to understand why this is going on with you.

Good luck,

Bob, aka Hammer

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Seriously, most Gynecomastia is "idiopathic."  That is a medical term that means either: "I don't Know" or possibly: "Your guess is as good as mine."  In this regard, it is sometimes used in the same way as the word: "virus." The main difference being that "virus" actually does have a meaning.

As you titled the topic, it is just the way things are.
Grandpa Dan

Offline MrSeb

• Posting Member
Thank you for both of your replies.

As for the hormone tests, these have already been done, at-least they did one for testosterone and another for prolactin, they did not find anything of note there.

At the end of the day it is what it is. I just don't know if they will get bigger or settle down, I'm only 39 so I suppose there is plenty of time for either.

Offline TigerPaws

Sir I fully understand what you are going through, know that it may get worse and that surgery may not solve the problem, the "dirty little secret" about surgery is that is not always successful in stopping the breast development, so even  after having the procedure and spending up to 10 grand plus 6 months or more recovering you could start growing again.

I understand that when you look down you see yourself as big and when you look in the mirror you see the changes, but those changes do not define what and who you are. Only you can do that.

Adapt and overcome.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
There is no "Dirty little secret."

The surgeons who frequent these pages will not operate on a man who has not been stabilized for some time. If a person finds a less capable doctor, working outside their own specialty, willing to operate, the results will be questionable.

Offline TigerPaws

Not to be contradictory or argumentative, but not all doctors/surgeons are either honorable, ethical or honest.

All too often it is easier for medical professionals to not discuss the issues and or options with their prospective clients. As most of these procedures are paid directly by the client the lure of money can jade the conversation.

It has happened before and it will happen again. Trust should be earned and never freely given to anyone.

Offline MrSeb

• Posting Member
Thank you Tigerpaws.

I am not considering surgery, I do not have enough money as I have a family to support and little cash to spend on myself. I just worry about the reaction from other people, especially those close to me, i.e work colleagues and close friends.

hammer

The thing to remember, it would be their problem, not yours!

If they have trouble handling the fact that you have "gynecomastia" then it does become "their" problem. Their are many of us that have been told by our doctors that we should wear bras for support (including me) due to the "very normal for most breast enlargement . The reason I said for most, mine got much bigger due to extra Heath issues. Anyway, as I said, if you are handling the problem and they are not, education helps, but it's still theirs to own, not yours.

Bob

Offline TigerPaws

Thank you Tigerpaws.

I am not considering surgery, I do not have enough money as I have a family to support and little cash to spend on myself. I just worry about the reaction from other people, especially those close to me, i.e work colleagues and close friends.

With all due respect colleagues are nothing more than people who come and go, you owe them no allegiances, close friends will accept you for who you are not what you look like. If friends have an issue with your breasts then it would seem that you need some new friends.

Few people who I work with know the full extent or reason I now have breasts and frankly it is none of their business. Occasionally someone has made a passing comment which I usually ignore but in the rare instance when I choose to respond I speak quickly and decisively letting whoever know that their comments/curiosity is none of their business.

That ends any further comments, questions or discussion. As most of us need to work and get along with others that has no bearing on whither we like or dislike each other.

aboywithgirls

I have found that my breasts have grown in spurts over the years.  I started at about 12 years of age and I'm now 40 and wearing a 38E. I was wearing a Day cup a year ago. I have an endocrinologist who monitors me because of a thyroidectomy 2 years ago and back when I was a B/C cup. She warned me that my breasts will probably increase significantly and asked if I had considered wearing a bra for support.  I told her that I would look into it. But the truth was I just didn't wear it to the appointment. But now with 38E breasts I have to. I'm not considering surgery. I have no issues with my breasts. If someone else has an issue, that's their issue to deal with. Half of the population gets up every morning and puts their bra on. I just happen to be amongst that half.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024