Author Topic: Well I went and did it - first mammogram  (Read 10753 times)

Offline skinny-s

• Posting Member
   Well I went and did it, had my first mammogram.  I saw my doctor for my semiannual check up and I asked him about getting a mammogram. I explained that lately I have noticed some enlargement and a sore spot deep in my left breast.  He did a manual exam and said that it might be a good idea to get them checked  out. The day of my scheduled exam I was as nervous as a cat at a bird show.  Came time for me to go to the mammogram room the technician had me go directly to the mammogram room and not the changing room and asked that I take off my shirt ( Ho boy I had a bra on, my wife knows that I wear a bra but hasn’t expressed a desire to see me shirtless with it on). Technician didn’t, bat an eyelash and waited as I bared my chest with breasts. Positioned me for the horizontal view ( didn't know that you could spread breast tissue that much ouch)!  Next was the angled view, more moving and positioning of the breast..  She had read the doctors referral and asked me about the tender spot..She told me that she thought that I should get a sonogram of the left side but had to call for approval, and if she got an OK they could do it right away, but in the mean time to get dressed and go back to the waiting room. About 15 minutes she came and got me for the sonogram and this time took me first to a small changing room to remove my shirt and bra.  This time I had two technicians doing the sonogram one was student from the local medical school and the other the staff technician.

I have to say that at all times I was treated with respect and I did not get any feeling of ridicule or disrespect.  If any thing I might have sensed empathy.  In all after the deed was done, no big deal and not to worry what people might think.  I have noticed since I started to wear a bra that 99% of the people are too wrapped up in their own thought's to noticed my breasts.

Just a little background I am 78 years old calendar wise but still in my 50-60's.  I lived with slow growing breasts since puberty, now at a 48D and have accepted them.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:43:52 AM by skinny-s »

Offline mgr

• Bronze Member
I had my first mammogram two days ago. I went to the urologist because my left testicle was infected and I told her my breasts were sore and thought maybe the infection was unbalancing my hormones.  I lost my right one 9 years ago to an infection.  
It all turned out clear. They confirm I have gynocamastia, but not too bad. I am about a 38B with a wide chest. I am however, 5'10" and only weigh 170, so I am not over weight. 
The tech was fantastic and then the radiologist that reads the photos came in to speak to me and then took me to her office and showed me my photos and explained everything. They were so nice to me.
She did say I should expect soreness going forward and should think about some compression. She first mentioned surgery, but I said I have had enough  surgeries and my cheast will need to get a lot bigger before I go that route. She suggested some compresion to stablize the breasts when active.
My wife of 33 years suggested a tight cami or a mostly a tank with a shelf bra. She has been shopping around for them and I will give them a try.

aboywithgirls

Mammograms and self breasts exams are important for everyone regardless of gender. The breast care center where I go to every year is also great. It can be awkward and it is for a man who to be called up in the waiting room and going in for a mammogram while your wife waits for you. I know the first time I went for a mammogram, the tech asked me to remove my top.and bra. Although I have been wearing a bra for most of my life, I don't ever get used to having any body except my wife mention it.

hammer

I far as breast cancer goes, I have a friend that is as flat as a board and needed a massectomy due to breast cancer. He found a lump while in the shower.

MGR, I lost both of my testicles, so my breast are very large! The problem with waiting to have surgery, if you are thinking of having it at all, is the surgery gets much more complicated the larger they get, with needing to do things with the extra skin and nipple placement. So if your thinking of surgery, keep that in mind.

Bob

Offline mgr

• Bronze Member
Thank you for your comments. I will keep your suggestion in mind if I lose my left testicle. I hoping they can save it. If not, the discussion will be had with my doctor.

Offline manwithboobs76

I have be getting mammograms every year for 20 years. The last 5 years they have been taking in through the side door directly into the X-ray  room and undress within tech looking at me and no place to but my cloths I feel very uncomfortable. no grown. this year I needed a ultrasound,there was no room open at that time so they sent me in a gown holding my cloths into the main waiting room, everyone was watching me. I have never been so empresses in my life.
I was treated like a second class person.  

Offline Anon E Mouse

• Bronze Member
I have be getting mammograms every year for 20 years. The last 5 years they have been taking in through the side door directly into the X-ray  room and undress within tech looking at me and no place to but my cloths I feel very uncomfortable. no grown. this year I needed a ultrasound,there was no room open at that time so they sent me in a gown holding my cloths into the main waiting room, everyone was watching me. I have never been so empresses in my life.
I was treated like a second class person.  

Not only would I complain to my own doctor, I would make sure that the place that treated me that way knew about it as well. There is no excuse for them to treat you with anything but dignity and respect.

Offline Jin

• Posting Member
I had mine a few years ago. My wife found a lump in my left breast during our sex play so we had it checked out and all was OK. I was treated with kindness and respect. The attendant said I was her first male patient and appologized for having only pink gowns. I laughed and said: "That's OK, it is seldom I get to wear pink"

My Dr. (who happens to be female) has been checking me annually with no new issues.
I think it is a great move to be checked if you have ANY breasts!

Maxx

I have had five mammograms so far over the last 8-9 years. Always been treated with respect and like it was no big deal...because it isnt. I have had an ultrasound once. Still no issues found that are to worry about. Reports always say something like dense tissue 50-75 glandular. I am due for another. My endo thinks it is a good idea every 1-2 years, since my mother died from breast cancer.

hammer

I think it is a great move to be checked if you have ANY breasts!

I have a friend that found a lump while he was in the shower, and he has no gynecomastia at all! He was in his 50's or early 60s at the time I believe and had a full mastectomy!

You don't need to have large, or any show of breast at all to get breast cancer!

Offline mgr

• Bronze Member
I had my first mammogram this past May. I was a bit nervous, but the tech made me feel like it was no big thing. She said they get at least 4 men a week.  Once she was done she had me sit in the room for a while and then returned with the radiologist who was reading my xrays.  She spoke to me briefly and then invited me to her office to review the xrays. She showed them to me on the screen and then drilled down through them (3D). She explained everything.  
It was actually an amazing experience.  I told my wife about it and she changed where she has gone for decades and was pleased as well.
I would not think twice about getting the next one.

hammer

Had my 2nd mammogram on Tuesday at the VA. My primary thought that it would be a good  idea to have one done again to have a base line on record at the VA being it had been a long time since I had one done and that one was at the U of M. The doctor that check it out said that everything looked good and had me sign a release of info form to get the one from the U so she could compare them! All is good in Bob's boob land! 

The really great news is I've hit the low carb diet again real hard and I'm down 15 lbs so far and my bras feel much more comfortable on me again! I must have put a few pounds on after I bought them. 

Offline walt

• Gold Member
Hello boys I have had two mammograms and two ultra sounds , of the boobs and ultrasounds on my testicules they shrink and the boobs grow. the tec was good about me asking all kinds of questions. and was not even surprised at me wearing a bra.

hammer

I just got a rather disturbing letter from my primary care doctor at the VA! When I had my recent mammogram I signed a " release of information" to get the results of the mammogram I had several years ago at the U of MN, that mammogram had me rated in a category 3!  I should have had follow up exams every 6 months to make sure that it was benign! I never was told that!

The good news was that my mammogram that I just had at the VA was a category 1!

My primary doctor said that if I wanted to talk about it more, and maybe even look at surgery we could talk about it. I haven't been able to show the letter to Debbie yet, but I know she'll agree, that if there isn't anything wrong, no need for surgery!

Offline dbweb

• Bronze Member
I agree with the sentiment here, if your situation is not a danger to your health, avoid the surgery.  So some of us get breast that need support as we become older, far easier to speak about choices of garments to do that than to take the hospital route as first choice.
Having said that, if I were in my second or third decade as opposed to 6th and faced this choice, I may have made a different decision.
I have had to have surgery for bad veins, and several degenerated joints replaced, but again a different type decision.  If all I have to do to avoid discomfort and it is not affecting my health, wearing a bra is not a tough choice.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024