Author Topic: Surgeon left tissue  (Read 1474 times)

Offline CJA

Hi folks I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I had gyno surgery about 9 years ago. The gyno was quite big and being relatively slim at the time it looked even worse. I went to my local GP and was referred to the hospital. After a consultation I managed to get an operation on the NHS for free. Bear in mind that at the time gyno was nowhere near as common knowledge as it is today so I had no idea what it was or how it happens. Anyway, I got the surgery but I can remember at the time the surgeon came up to see me and talk me through what they would do. Obviously being depressed and embarrassed for years I was over the moon that this weight off my chest would be lifted, if you will excuse the pun. I remember the surgeon saying she would have to cut under the breast to remove the tissue but, she would leave some in there to keep the shape so it wouldn't cave in. I think the surgeon was a general surgeon so not her speciality.
Going forward after the op the difference was huge and I was over the moon with the results. (I think mainly because of the size of the gyno before) I have scars and they were quite red but they have now become similar colour to my normal skin. The scars are approx. 3.5 inches long and not too thick. I felt great and would wear tight t-shirts and could take my top off at the beach etc. as I'm sure all of you are aware how much of a big deal that is. But what is really getting me recently is that the gyno was never fully removed and being an active gym goer my chest has developed quite nicely. But I feel like I'm almost back to square one. From the side you can see the lump quite clearly and from the front too. If I din't have the scar I'm not sure people would notice. But I almost feel like I've got these scars so It should be completely gone. Every video I have seen on youtube the surgeon removes the gland through the areola via a tiny cut. I want to know if its possible for me to remove the remainder of what's left with this method. The reason I ask is, I went to see a surgeon in Aberdeen, Scotland after him pretty much saying that its fine and I shouldn't be worried (after telling me to loose weight) he said he could do the operation if I really wanted but he would need to open the scar up again and that it may not be that easy an operation to do. I felt so frustrated and almost as If I was back at the same place 9 years ago.
Can anybody please advise if they have had similar problems or any advice.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It would be helpful if you could post some photos -- front, sides, 3/4 views.

It is possible that significant improvement could be accomplished simply with liposuction performed by a plastic surgeon.  Or, another excision might be needed -- perhaps accompanied by lipo.  Only an examination by a plastic surgeon can provide you with the best answers.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Photos of course would be useful.The tissue could most likely be removed via a periareolar incision. The issue is you presently have a quite large scar from the previous surgery and it may be preferable to just use the old incision rather than create a new scar..
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
It i very common for patients to forget from where they began. It sounds like you are still better than before and you were very happy for a long period of time. So all is not for naught. Trying to make things even better might be possible but the issues that were with you originally, like skin laxity, still probably exist today. It's impossible to give much more advise without seeing photos and obviously an exam would be best. Good luck and take your time in your decisions.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024