Author Topic: Post op problems, HELP!!!  (Read 3120 times)

Offline kokos

• Posting Member
I had gyno surgery 5 days ago, after the surgery i got big hematoma on my right side (after the surgery i didnt get any compressor or anything to push the chest) and doctor left me like that day of the surgery because i was very tired and sleepy and white in the face, next day he squeezed blood/stuff from my right side and he massaged it and he gave me elastic bandage), next 2 days he did the same thing when they told me i can leave hospital (that was on Monday) - (i still had and still have hematoma on right side but smaller then before),when i came home i noticed that my right side of abdomen is swollen and that got me in big panic, i was mentally killed, couldn't talk or anything because i have gyno since my age of 12 and to this day (19 yrs old) i have never taken off my shirt in front of anybody except my family and i couldnt wear nice shirts. So when this hematome thing happened i was hoping it will be good, but when i saw swollen areas on my right side of abdomen i was destroyed, so i went to him on Wednesday (yesterday) and he told me that  its not a big of a deal for abdomen to be swollen and he REMOVED my elastic bandage telling me that i dont need it anymore, only after 4 days of wearing it and also he squizeed again some of the stuff from my breast and he put some bandage over my right side and he attached plaster to it and told me im good to go until Monday. I drink antibiotcs and chymoral pills (chymoral three times per day and antibiotics twice a day). So im basically left without elastic bandage or compressor and i have just some bandages on my right side, i am desperate for help, i appreciate any answers...

EDIT:

I forgot to add that i had 2 drains on both of my sides and the left drain was removed 2 days after surgery and the drain from my right side was removed yesterday.

PHOTOS

http://imgur.com/a/4eNKI
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 01:09:11 PM by kokos »

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
You might post some photos to show what your chest looks like, but it's difficult to address your issues without knowing your surgeon's approach to your initial treatment.  In my practice, I use compression post-operatively in all patients for four weeks, so your surgeon's approach varies there.  Also, in patients who have significant bleeding, especially if it is ongoing, I would address this surgically.  If the bleeding is modest, dealing with it using serial aspiration is adequate.  
At this point, you should follow the recommendations of your surgeon. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Sorry to hear about your problems.  And yes, one can develop a hematoma even if drains are in place.

IF hematomas are large, no amount of pressure, squeezing, etc will stop them or deal with the problem -- only open surgical drainage will help.  And sometimes the blood does spread so that it appears to be in the abdomen.

You should absolutely return to your surgeon for immediate help.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline kokos

• Posting Member
Thanks for your answers Doctors, i really appreciate them. I will post pictures today, i have bruisings on my right side of abdomen also, so it must be hematoma i suppose and not just swollen areas (like he told me), can u tell me if i have hematoma on my abdomen also, how serious it is and what it can do to me, and how is this problem treated?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Bruising of the abdomen is due to infiltration of blood from the chest area moving downwards by gravity into the abdomen.  It is not dangerous and does not require anything more than watchful waiting until the bruising disappears.

Treatment of a chest hematoma, if there is a space on the chest filled with blood, does need to be addressed by a medical professional.

Dr Jacobs

Offline kokos

• Posting Member
Bruising of the abdomen is due to infiltration of blood from the chest area moving downwards by gravity into the abdomen.  It is not dangerous and does not require anything more than watchful waiting until the bruising disappears.

Treatment of a chest hematoma, if there is a space on the chest filled with blood, does need to be addressed by a medical professional.

Dr Jacobs

I can't thank you enough for your replies, i uploaded photos so if u could look at them it would mean a lot.

http://imgur.com/a/4eNKI

I will see my doctor on Monday, and about the abdomen, its not that i only have bruisings, it swollen on the right side, like it has more "fat" than the other side...

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes, the photo does seem to indicate a hematoma.

As for the abdomen, it is simply swelling plus infiltrated blood.  One doesn't develop fat in an area overnight.

Dr Jacobs

Offline kokos

• Posting Member
Yes, the photo does seem to indicate a hematoma.

As for the abdomen, it is simply swelling plus infiltrated blood.  One doesn't develop fat in an area overnight.

Dr Jacobs

What would be your procedure with hematoma of this size?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
IMHO, hematomas that are small can be watched and the blood removed with a syringe after it liquifies (usually 7-10 days or so).  

Larger hematomas should be returned to the operating room where the incision is opened, the clotted blood is removed, the inside of the wound cleansed with saline, and a drain placed for a day or two.  Usually, the bleeding vessel that caused the hematoma has stopped bleeding and may not be found.

With this method, there is minimal if any scar tissue produced by clotted blood and in fact, both sides will look quite symmetric within a week or two.

Dr Jacobs

Offline kokos

• Posting Member
Thanks very much for all the answers!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024