Author Topic: should i tell doctor about previous surgery  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Snowblowjoe35

• Posting Member
i know honesty is the best policy but i just need to know if i have had surgery before in the past for gyno would the surgeon need to know this to perform at his best? i dont want to jeapordize my insurance not paying for it. but if it will help the surgeon or its critical for him to know about my previous surgery then i will tell him the day of the surgery.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes, yes, yes, you must tell your any surgeon about prior chest surgery.  There is a major difference in operating on someone who has had prior surgery -- ie scar tissue, and any new surgeon must be told about your prior surgery in as much detail as possible.  In fact, you should request a copy of your operative report from your first surgeon and present it to the new surgeon.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
Yes you should absolutely tell your surgeon about previous surgery, and everything else about your medical history. Let your surgeon decide what is important.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Absolutely tell about all previous surgery.  Tissues are different after surgery, and depending on the nature of surgery, blood supply to tissue can be altered by surgical procedures--incisions, scars and so on.  Not telling your surgeon puts you at risk for complications that might not be issues in previously unoperated tissue, so this matters.  And an operative note helps to clarify what was done, especially if the procedure was unusual in any way.  
Additionally, the concern that insurance might or might not cover the procedure may be irrelevant, since gynecomastia removal is rarely covered at this point, at least in my experience. Additionally because reimbursement for the procedure is abysmal, many gynecomastia surgeons may not even take insurance for the procedure. We stopped taking insurance for this a couple years ago. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Look you are on the same side as the surgeon. Always be honest with your surgeon. Also there are some separate considerations on a second surgery.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024