Author Topic: Questions about scar , I apologize if it is a bit long  (Read 1177 times)

Offline NY Native

• Posting Member
4 months post op, totally understand how long healing will take, but:

I am a boxing and brazilian jiu jitsu instructor (very physical stuff) , I waited up until 2 weeks ago to begin getting back into actually doing the sports again and not just teach them. As you can imagine the scars became darker as they were rubbed on and what not. 

Totally understand it's my own fault lol, but my question is this-

My doctor is waiting until 6 months to determine if he should do kenalog injections , I honestly am perfectly content with how I look now scar tissue and all , but was unsure if I continued doing the activities I do now, that the scar would actually become less hypertrophic looking. Are there creams for the long term? Or is it one of those things where it'll heal. They were hardly noticeable but i went on a vacation about 2 months ago , I wore a shirt the whole time but didn't realize that wasn't enough to hide them from sun exposure (damn those beautiful beaches of Mexico!)

I'll post a picture if necessary , but I know they aren't keloids and just appear a bit darker/red

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
Photos would be most helpful. Keloids are a bit different than hypertrophic scars. So it really depends on which you have. Topical treatments may help hypertrophic scars but at this point probably won't be effective for true keloids (which might be best treated with excision and early steroid injection).
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024