Author Topic: Surgery with Karidis: Completed (Updated 4th August 2019)  (Read 15073 times)

Offline yamahatrophy

• Posting Member
Update 8 - Day 4 Post Op 18th March 2019

The first 3 days were pretty challenging, however I'm now over the most difficult part of the recovery and things are now much smoother. Pain is 0/10 unless I do something that stretches or challenges the chest muscles i..e lifting arms overhead or reaching behind me in which case it rises to a 1 or 2. After 72 hours, I finally took off my surgical dressings and got my first proper look at my chest. Wow! What a difference. The whole area is completely flat and the areolas have shrunk and darkened. The area is still a bit messy as expected and will change over time but things are looking promising so far. I've attached a photo I took yesterday just after taking the dressings off. The two most difficult parts of the journey so far have been as follows:

1. Sleep disruption due to awkward sleeping positions. The first night was terrible as I was lying flat on my back and didn't move the whole night. I've found a good compromise position now where I balance my pillow against my dressing table which allows me to rotate my legs and head while keeping my back flat on the bed which is much comfier. I still wake up a few times in the night but it's much better than night 1. I'm still too tender to sleep normally and that will probably be the case until at least Thursday, if not longer.
2. Not being able to shower until the surgical dressings are removed. It feels so disgusting not being able to wash for 48 hours and then having to go out in public in that state. I've never appreciated being able to keep myself clean so much!

I'll post another update when there is some meaningful progress.

Offline dk1000

• Posting Member

The first 3 days were pretty challenging, however I'm now over the most difficult part of the recovery and things are now much smoother. Pain is 0/10 unless I do something that stretches or challenges the chest muscles i..e lifting arms overhead or reaching behind me in which case it rises to a 1 or 2. After 72 hours, I finally took off my surgical dressings and got my first proper look at my chest. Wow! What a difference. The whole area is completely flat and the areolas have shrunk and darkened. The area is still a bit messy as expected and will change over time but things are looking promising so far. I've attached a photo I took yesterday just after taking the dressings off. The two most difficult parts of the journey so far have been as follows:

1. Sleep disruption due to awkward sleeping positions. The first night was terrible as I was lying flat on my back and didn't move the whole night. I've found a good compromise position now where I balance my pillow against my dressing table which allows me to rotate my legs and head while keeping my back flat on the bed which is much comfier. I still wake up a few times in the night but it's much better than night 1. I'm still too tender to sleep normally and that will probably be the case until at least Thursday, if not longer.
2. Not being able to shower until the surgical dressings are removed. It feels so disgusting not being able to wash for 48 hours and then having to go out in public in that state. I've never appreciated being able to keep myself clean so much!

Looking really good mate! Very symmetrical and not as bruised as others I've seen on here. I hope my results are as good as yours.

I received the consent forms and post-op instructions yesterday, seems that there's a lot to be conscious and mindful of, how are you finding it all? Also, have you been sleeping completely upright for the last few nights?

Offline yamahatrophy

• Posting Member

Looking really good mate! Very symmetrical and not as bruised as others I've seen on here. I hope my results are as good as yours.

I received the consent forms and post-op instructions yesterday, seems that there's a lot to be conscious and mindful of, how are you finding it all? Also, have you been sleeping completely upright for the last few nights?

Awesome - you're one step closer! :) I'm not gonna lie - the first 72 hours really sucked. But I'm past the hump now and am at a point where I'm able to do most things again with relative ease (open doors, put on a hoodie etc.) and no longer have any stitches or surgical dressings on me. The compression vest isn't as bad as some of the stories I've heard in other diaries - either they got a size too small or need to man up :D Still looking forward to not having to wear it again, though.

I haven't slept completely upright at all. The first night I slept at about 45 degrees but my sleep was so bad I decided I wouldn't do that again. The second and third nights I just slept on my back. I'm at a point now where it's just about bearable to sleep on my side (thank god!) and that's making the nights much easier. I think it's over-rated to be honest as you sleep for approx. 8 hours and then have the remaining 16 hours stood up or sat at an incline.

One other thing - I was provided Arnica tablets and instructed to take these 5 times a day to reduce swelling and bruising. This is a homeopathic treatment and I could find no clinical studies to support its effectiveness beyond a placebo so I haven't been taking these at all. Do with that information what you will.

Offline yamahatrophy

• Posting Member
Update 9 - One Week Post-Op
Nothing much to report these past few days. I'm more or less back to normal mobility now save for reaching up too high or behind my back. Did a shopping trip earlier and carried two fairly heavy shopping bags home without issue. Sleeping on my side is fine now, I still have to avoid putting too much pressure directly on the nipple area but this isn't too much of an issue. I'm sure by next week it won't be a problem at all. Photo attached that I took this morning.

Offline dk1000

• Posting Member
Your recovery looks like it's going very well. Will be hardly noticeable in just a few weeks! :)

I also doubt that I'll fall asleep upright, but will try my best for the first 1/2 nights and then sleep on my side aswell. Been given the all clear with regards to my blood tests and so the reality that I'll be having surgery in less than a month is really beginning to kick in now. Kind of exciting and a bit scary at the same time!

...How has everything been over the last few days? Have you felt any scar tissue beginning to form or experienced your chest flattening and then swelling again?

Offline yamahatrophy

• Posting Member
Your recovery looks like it's going very well. Will be hardly noticeable in just a few weeks! :)

I also doubt that I'll fall asleep upright, but will try my best for the first 1/2 nights and then sleep on my side aswell. Been given the all clear with regards to my blood tests and so the reality that I'll be having surgery in less than a month is really beginning to kick in now. Kind of exciting and a bit scary at the same time!

...How has everything been over the last few days? Have you felt any scar tissue beginning to form or experienced your chest flattening and then swelling again?
I'm more or less back to normal now in terms of mobility. No issues at all sleeping on my side and I was fine lifting my suitcase to the overhead luggage on the train today. I haven't been paying too much attention to the overall shape just yet because I know it'll change a lot. The chest area is overly flat at the moment but that should spring out over the next month. The bruising has gone down quite a bit, should be completely gone in another week or so. Both nipples have creases in at the moment but that's one of the expected side effects, will hopefully resolve itself in the coming weeks. I'll post another photo on Thursday which is the 2 week mark when I only have to wear the compression vest at night.

Offline dk1000

• Posting Member

I'm more or less back to normal now in terms of mobility. No issues at all sleeping on my side and I was fine lifting my suitcase to the overhead luggage on the train today. I haven't been paying too much attention to the overall shape just yet because I know it'll change a lot. The chest area is overly flat at the moment but that should spring out over the next month. The bruising has gone down quite a bit, should be completely gone in another week or so. Both nipples have creases in at the moment but that's one of the expected side effects, will hopefully resolve itself in the coming weeks. I'll post another photo on Thursday which is the 2 week mark when I only have to wear the compression vest at night.

Wow, can't believe it's already been two weeks, it's good to hear you're back to normal again :) ..It does seem like creasing is quite common, I'm expecting that my own nipples will be creased, but to me it seems a small price to pay to get rid of the puffiness. However, as you said, it does tend to resolve within a few weeks. ..Would you also say that you've noticed any changes in the actual size of your nipples?

Additionally, I wanted to ask, when was the last time you worked out before surgery and how many days before did you stop drinking alcohol and stop taking supps/vitamins/protein powders etc.? 

Offline yamahatrophy

• Posting Member

I'm more or less back to normal now in terms of mobility. No issues at all sleeping on my side and I was fine lifting my suitcase to the overhead luggage on the train today. I haven't been paying too much attention to the overall shape just yet because I know it'll change a lot. The chest area is overly flat at the moment but that should spring out over the next month. The bruising has gone down quite a bit, should be completely gone in another week or so. Both nipples have creases in at the moment but that's one of the expected side effects, will hopefully resolve itself in the coming weeks. I'll post another photo on Thursday which is the 2 week mark when I only have to wear the compression vest at night.

Wow, can't believe it's already been two weeks, it's good to hear you're back to normal again :) ..It does seem like creasing is quite common, I'm expecting that my own nipples will be creased, but to me it seems a small price to pay to get rid of the puffiness. However, as you said, it does tend to resolve within a few weeks. ..Would you also say that you've noticed any changes in the actual size of your nipples?

Additionally, I wanted to ask, when was the last time you worked out before surgery and how many days before did you stop drinking alcohol and stop taking supps/vitamins/protein powders etc.?

I know, it's gone by so quick! I asked Dr. Karidis before the operation whether I could expect a reduction in the areola diameter and darkening of colour and he said it would stay the same. However, due to the fact the areola is no longer "pointing out", they definitely seem smaller and have darkened slightly as well. I didn't take measurements so can't confirm if they have actually gotten smaller, but this study suggests an average diameter reduction of 17%: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28252545

I worked out all the way till the night before the surgery, working the chest extra hard. Multiple doctors have confirmed this isn't an issue. I stopped drinking alcohol 5 days before surgery (1 week recommended). I'm not much of a drinker, however I happened to be in Italy for work and I'll be damned if I'm not enjoying a fine glass of Italian wine while I'm there! I stopped my fish oil, creatine, vitamins and preworkout 2 weeks before surgery as recommended. Mostly it's precautionary but the fish oil, vitamin E and ginger extract (in my preworkout) can cause excessive bleeding which increases surgery risk and risk of hematoma. So better safe than sorry. I'm starting to take all these again now 2 weeks after surgery. Will post another update shortly with progress pics.

Offline yamahatrophy

• Posting Member
Update 10 - Two Weeks Post-Op 28th March 2019

I'm now at the 2 week mark which means no more compression vest during the day :) I'm also going to start my supplements again (creatine, fish oil). The healing is going well. Most bruising is gone along with most marks from the stitches. The liposuction incisions are pretty difficult to notice already. The area still looks a little odd from the 45 degree angle as seen in the photo (overly flat) but this should spring out over the next 4 weeks and also reduce the nipple creasing. Aside from that, not much else to report. I'll post another update and more photos after my checkup with <a class="underlinelink" href="https://www.gynecomastia.org/doctors/alexkaridis/profile"><a class="underlinelink" href="https://www.gynecomastia.org/doctors/alexkaridis/profile">Dr. Karidis[/url][/url] on April 15th.

Edit: I also received the surgical report today sent via post. 300mls of fat was aspirated and 29g of gland excised (16g left, 13g right). 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 04:13:25 PM by yamahatrophy »

Offline dk1000

• Posting Member

I'm now at the 2 week mark which means no more compression vest during the day :) I'm also going to start my supplements again (creatine, fish oil). The healing is going well. Most bruising is gone along with most marks from the stitches. The liposuction incisions are pretty difficult to notice already. The area still looks a little odd from the 45 degree angle as seen in the photo (overly flat) but this should spring out over the next 4 weeks and also reduce the nipple creasing. Aside from that, not much else to report. I'll post another update and more photos after my checkup with <a class="underlinelink" href="https://www.gynecomastia.org/doctors/alexkaridis/profile"><a class="underlinelink" href="https://www.gynecomastia.org/doctors/alexkaridis/profile"><a class="underlinelink" href="https://www.gynecomastia.org/doctors/alexkaridis/profile">Dr. Karidis[/url][/url][/url] on April 15th.

Edit: I also received the surgical report today sent via post. 300mls of fat was aspirated and 29g of gland excised (16g left, 13g right).

Thanks for the update, your chest looks great and definitely healing very well :)  ..Were you surprised at all by your surgical report? I haven't looked into the usual amounts of fat/gland removed during surgery, though I expect mine might be significantly higher than yours.

Also, thanks for confirming regarding supps + working out. Did you continue to drink protein shakes or any caffeine in the two weeks leading up to surgery (if you drank them before)?

I've now stopped all supps + alcohol since Tuesday (2 weeks before my surgery date) and been going to the gym as much as possible over the last few weeks to work out my chest. Paid off the remainder of Karidis' fee over the weekend, so only the hospital fee remains ;D

Offline yamahatrophy

• Posting Member

I'm now at the 2 week mark which means no more compression vest during the day :) I'm also going to start my supplements again (creatine, fish oil). The healing is going well. Most bruising is gone along with most marks from the stitches. The liposuction incisions are pretty difficult to notice already. The area still looks a little odd from the 45 degree angle as seen in the photo (overly flat) but this should spring out over the next 4 weeks and also reduce the nipple creasing. Aside from that, not much else to report. I'll post another update and more photos after my checkup with <a class="underlinelink" href="https://www.gynecomastia.org/doctors/alexkaridis/profile"><a class="underlinelink" href="https://www.gynecomastia.org/doctors/alexkaridis/profile"><a class="underlinelink" href="https://www.gynecomastia.org/doctors/alexkaridis/profile"><a class="underlinelink" href="https://www.gynecomastia.org/doctors/alexkaridis/profile">Dr. Karidis[/url][/url][/url][/url] on April 15th.

Edit: I also received the surgical report today sent via post. 300mls of fat was aspirated and 29g of gland excised (16g left, 13g right).

Thanks for the update, your chest looks great and definitely healing very well :)  ..Were you surprised at all by your surgical report? I haven't looked into the usual amounts of fat/gland removed during surgery, though I expect mine might be significantly higher than yours.

Also, thanks for confirming regarding supps + working out. Did you continue to drink protein shakes or any caffeine in the two weeks leading up to surgery (if you drank them before)?

I've now stopped all supps + alcohol since Tuesday (2 weeks before my surgery date) and been going to the gym as much as possible over the last few weeks to work out my chest. Paid off the remainder of Karidis' fee over the weekend, so only the hospital fee remains ;D

I always assumed the right side had more gland due to generally being more puffy so when it turned out more gland was excised from the left side I was a bit surprised! I completely dropped everything 2 weeks before surgery - caffeine, fish oil, all vitamins. I don't drink protein shakes anyway but they shouldn't be a problem assuming there are no added vitamins or substances which thin the blood. 

Not long now bro! I'll post an update after my checkup with Dr. Karidis and upload new photos.

Offline yamahatrophy

• Posting Member

I'm now at the 2 week mark which means no more compression vest during the day :) I'm also going to start my supplements again (creatine, fish oil). The healing is going well. Most bruising is gone along with most marks from the stitches. The liposuction incisions are pretty difficult to notice already. The area still looks a little odd from the 45 degree angle as seen in the photo (overly flat) but this should spring out over the next 4 weeks and also reduce the nipple creasing. Aside from that, not much else to report. I'll post another update and more photos after my checkup with <a class="underlinelink" href="https://www.gynecomastia.org/doctors/alexkaridis/profile"><a class="underlinelink" href="https://www.gynecomastia.org/doctors/alexkaridis/profile"><a class="underlinelink" href="https://www.gynecomastia.org/doctors/alexkaridis/profile"><a class="underlinelink" href="https://www.gynecomastia.org/doctors/alexkaridis/profile">Dr. Karidis[/url][/url][/url][/url] on April 15th.

Thanks for the update, your chest looks great and definitely healing very well :)  ..Were you surprised at all by your surgical report? I haven't looked into the usual amounts of fat/gland removed during surgery, though I expect mine might be significantly higher than yours.

Also, thanks for confirming regarding supps + working out. Did you continue to drink protein shakes or any caffeine in the two weeks leading up to surgery (if you drank them before)?

I've now stopped all supps + alcohol since Tuesday (2 weeks before my surgery date) and been going to the gym as much as possible over the last few weeks to work out my chest. Paid off the remainder of Karidis' fee over the weekend, so only the hospital fee remains ;D

Less than a week to go! How are you feeling about the surgery?

Offline dk1000

• Posting Member

I'm now at the 2 week mark which means no more compression vest during the day :) I'm also going to start my supplements again (creatine, fish oil). The healing is going well. Most bruising is gone along with most marks from the stitches. The liposuction incisions are pretty difficult to notice already. The area still looks a little odd from the 45 degree angle as seen in the photo (overly flat) but this should spring out over the next 4 weeks and also reduce the nipple creasing. Aside from that, not much else to report. I'll post another update and more photos after my checkup with <a class="underlinelink" href="https://www.gynecomastia.org/doctors/alexkaridis/profile"><a class="underlinelink" href="https://www.gynecomastia.org/doctors/alexkaridis/profile"><a class="underlinelink" href="https://www.gynecomastia.org/doctors/alexkaridis/profile"><a class="underlinelink" href="https://www.gynecomastia.org/doctors/alexkaridis/profile"><a class="underlinelink" href="https://www.gynecomastia.org/doctors/alexkaridis/profile">Dr. Karidis[/url][/url][/url][/url][/url] on April 15th.

Counting the days tbh! Cannot believe my op is only 4 days away ;D ..With the sun out today, I was imagining being able to wear t-shirts without feeling self-conscious, as well as not having to wear jumpers/hoodies/jackets all the time in the baking heat. Recently, I've also been talking to friends about going on holiday in August, so feeling very positive overall.

That being said, I'm a bit disappointed in myself for not losing as much weight as I would have liked. I'm not technically overweight but am at the higher end of an ideal BMI. I'm hoping that excess chest fat doesn't lead to compromised results i.e. gland being left in, asymmetry, or an odd chest compared with my abdomen.

How has your recovery been going in the last few days? Have you had any concerns regarding your surgery/results that you plan to bring up with Karidis next week?

Offline yamahatrophy

• Posting Member

I'm now at the 2 week mark which means no more compression vest during the day :) I'm also going to start my supplements again (creatine, fish oil). The healing is going well. Most bruising is gone along with most marks from the stitches. The liposuction incisions are pretty difficult to notice already. The area still looks a little odd from the 45 degree angle as seen in the photo (overly flat) but this should spring out over the next 4 weeks and also reduce the nipple creasing. Aside from that, not much else to report. I'll post another update and more photos after my checkup with <a class="underlinelink" href="https://www.gynecomastia.org/doctors/alexkaridis/profile"><a class="underlinelink" href="https://www.gynecomastia.org/doctors/alexkaridis/profile"><a class="underlinelink" href="https://www.gynecomastia.org/doctors/alexkaridis/profile"><a class="underlinelink" href="https://www.gynecomastia.org/doctors/alexkaridis/profile"><a class="underlinelink" href="https://www.gynecomastia.org/doctors/alexkaridis/profile"><a class="underlinelink" href="https://www.gynecomastia.org/doctors/alexkaridis/profile">Dr. Karidis[/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url] on April 15th.

Counting the days tbh! Cannot believe my op is only 4 days away ;D ..With the sun out today, I was imagining being able to wear t-shirts without feeling self-conscious, as well as not having to wear jumpers/hoodies/jackets all the time in the baking heat. Recently, I've also been talking to friends about going on holiday in August, so feeling very positive overall.

That being said, I'm a bit disappointed in myself for not losing as much weight as I would have liked. I'm not technically overweight but am at the higher end of an ideal BMI. I'm hoping that excess chest fat doesn't lead to compromised results i.e. gland being left in, asymmetry, or an odd chest compared with my abdomen.

How has your recovery been going in the last few days? Have you had any concerns regarding your surgery/results that you plan to bring up with Karidis next week?

Glad you're excited for it! The contour difference when wearing a T-Shirt is almost immediate, so as soon as you get the compression vest off after 2 weeks you'll be good to go in that regard, even if the healing isn't at a point where you can go shirtless yet. I doubt the excess fat will prevent gland excision, however due to the lipo I'd expect the chest to look overly flat when compared with the rest of your body as there's not really any way to avoid that. On the plus side, to get the perfect result you then just need to lose body fat by cleaning up the diet and hitting the gym.

The recovery has been going well and almost to a tee as described in the post-op documents. The only point I'll bring up with Dr. Karidis is the slightly weird "dip" shape when viewed from 45 degrees however I'm pretty sure it's just standard healing and am expecting him to confirm it as such. I'll post a full update after the follow-up on Monday with new photos. 

JR7

Great recovery Yamaha, definitely puts me more at ease for my surgery in 8 days time reading logs like these.

DK, good luck with your op tomorrow, I will be 1 week behind you exactly as I’m having mine done on tue 23rd April. Would be great if you could keep us updated on your recovery as we’re so close together, and would be experiencing the post op  ‘rollercoaster’ at the same time more or less.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024