Author Topic: 6 steps I recommend after acceptance  (Read 1059 times)

Offline chrismanne

I would like to share some advice for anyone, men and women who are in need of a bra.  Once you have accepted that you have this condition, and it is apparent that it is not going away and surgery is either too expensive, you are not able afford time away from work, or are worried about pain and the scars etc, you will probably need help and time to find a bra that does the things you need it to do.  My advice is to first, make sure that your wife, partner, or significant other understands that you have a situation that requires the utilization of a support garmet, namely a bra.  This step should help to eliminare misunderstanding and communicates what you can do together to come to an understanding.  If you have a wife or girlfriend, you may need them to understand that you are not wanting to transition to female, that you just need some support from them and a bra.

Second is to learn about breasts and bras.  A lot of women have issues finding a bra that fits nicely and looks good.  Some do not have a clue about their breasts and bras.  Bra support but also shape, so some types might not work well for you.  So many types and types within types can make your head hurt.  I recommend sites such a r/abrathatfits that can help you determine a size to start at.  It also has a beginners guide and wiki about breasts and bras.  Great resource to start at and help narrow down where to shop and what to shop for.  also learn washing and care instructions to make your investment last as long as possible 

Third, go to get a fitting.  Once you decide on a store, call and state that you are a male and would like to know if they are willing to work with a male.  You can let them know that you have gynecomastia.  Most will be totally willing to help you.  Now they may ask you to come at the start or end of the day, or maybe a different day or set an appointment for you after hours, but most do not have an issue.  I have been fitted twice, at the start i took the fitters recommendation of types of bras, and it was nice in that they will help you adjust the straps, make sure you have it on correctly.  But after wearing the bra twice, it did not support as well and it was loose some I kept having to adjust it all day.  I took that one back and tge next consultant asked what I was looking for.  Well, fit and support would be best with a little more pulling in tissue from the side and backsmoothing.  I had learned from my previous experience, that you need to tell them what you want from the bra.  I was given a few in a couple of sizes and given my iwn fitting room with my name in it.  My name can be male or female, so no harm there.  They asked to come in and help me adjust, make sure what fit, any issues etc.  After that, stay in the fitting room and sit, stand, reach above head, bend down and if you phyaically work, do thoae movements, be mindful of bra keeping shape and and support.  Make sure that it is tight and comfortable. The cups should fit the tissue in them, not gap or be too tight, wires should not poke you, center gore should lay flat across sternum, etc.  Wear about 5 minutes in the room.  Wear clothing that you usually wear and see how the straps and bra shows.

Four, wear a bra everyday, we were not girls growing up and did not have training bras, so we have to train while we are wearing.  You have to get used to feeling the bra, knowing how to adjust the bra, movements may feel wierd or change, especially if you are bigger in the bust.  Hand washing was and is still wierd. Driving at 10 and 2 feels differently, dressing for the day takes longer.

Five get comfortable with wearing a bra and not caring if someone sees it.  This is easier said than done.  I am still working through this myself.  Most people do not notice or care about you wearing a bra.  Some people are proud, others try to hide.  I recommend trying to keep good posture, wear loose fitting clothes that still fit, wear any irregular pattern shirts if you can, my breasts stuck out before i started wearing, they now have a better shape and support. If someone asks, tell them you have gynecomastia and either educate them about it or have them look it up. It is a medical issue.

Six, keep reading and sharing support for other who have the same issue.  We are men who happen to have larger breasts.  We can own that and move forward with a happy and comfortable life. We just need a little more support.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
Good job! Lots of thoughtful recommendations here.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024