Author Topic: Bra style changes in taste?  (Read 805 times)

Offline Gino

• Posting Member
When I first "budded" the first reaction I had was horror fearing breast cancer. My doctor ordered a mammogram and to my relief it was not cancer but also my dismay that I was faced with ultimately their removal or just dealing with it. 

Then like buying a new car and noticing how many of the same brand and model are on the road I started noticing men with boobs, some quite large and I got at least comfortable with the possibility of dealing with it.

So, I ordered a few sports and "lesbian" bras and even though they conceal well unfortunately they're uncomfortable and hot. Nowadays the only time I wear one now is at family or professional gatherings.

Then came front hook bras. They are easy to don and take off but they're mostly available in push up and padded and I did not want to present any more than I had to so I dropped this style.

I later found that conventional rear hook types were available in a slew of possible styles but the majority were full coverage, lined, padded and push up all of which I bought several and also ultimately dropped this type. 

So once I really accepted my situation and tossing too much money into bra research, I finally wound up preferring a few brands over others. All are rear hook, underwire, unlined demi in some pretty racy fabrics and colors. My GF of several years likes my choices also. :-)

Luckily (or not as some may see it) my 36B's have slowed growing to a snail's pace and they're an easy fit online and hopefully some lucky people have found use for the styles I donated after I decided to not wear them. :-)

Jeez, do women have all of these issues? 

Offline blad

No, they go and try them on first. 
If the bra fits, wear it.

Offline Justagirl💃

• When life gives you curves, Flaunt them! 🤗
No, they go and try them on first.
As intersex AMAB and identifying as a woman, I can say that NOW I have several styles of bras that each have special uses (or outfits). 
If today I'm just going out in a Jersey and trousers I will wear something very comfortable yet supportive. 
If I'm going out in my Harper sleeveless V neck blouse I might wear my black push-up bra or maybe my red plaid and black lace bra since it will be seen. 
My balconette bra has outfits that work best for it as well as my strapless bras are invaluable. 

It's much more planning now than it was several years ago whilst in boy-mode. 
When life gives you curves,
flaunt them! 💃
💋Birdie💋

Offline Evolver

• Gold Member
When I used to wear bras just for the purpose of satisfying what was a fetish, it was always retro looking granny bras like a Triumph Doreen, or similar. Even though I have a variety of bras now, including underwire t-shirt, unlined underwire, cotton soft cup wirefree, cotton soft cup criss-cross (which I used to hate but now love - here it is, despite me having to purchase a 42B and it having narrow band and straps: Firm Support Wirefree 100% Cotton Bra | Style Gallery ), a crop bra and a crop tops, I still prefer the look and functionality of a wide band bra with three rows of hooks, side boning if non-underwire, and wide straps with the adjusting hardware at the front. Such bras are virtually impossible to find in 40A! 

I have looked at 40A underwire bras on Her Room, but they have those bloody 'comfort straps' which I don't like.

Offline Justagirl💃

I have looked at 40A underwire bras on Her Room, but they have those bloody 'comfort straps' which I don't like.
Out of curiosity I looked up a 40A on Torrid in several styles and found they don't have one. It can't even be ordered, nor do they have the sister size of a 38B. 

I'm sorry but even at Torrid you would have to use the 40B as the closest fit. 

Offline Johndoe1

When I first started wearing a bra, they were plain vanilla rear hook bras. Neutral colors (beige, black nudes) and very little bling, if any. They were underwire for the better support, but I do have some soft cup bras for leisure time. As time has passed, I have gotten more comfortable wearing a bra, got tired of the plain Jane bras and have branched out into the world of "fashion" when it comes to my bra choices. I think this is a natural progression of time and confidence. I buy bras for not only comfort but also my tastes, moods and outfits, like any woman would. It just makes it more interesting. And if I am going to wear a bra, why limit myself because "someone else' might not like it. In reality, I am the only one who sees or knows which or what bra I am wearing. It is for my comfort and satisfaction, not the worlds.
Womanhood is not defined by breasts, and breasts are not indicative of womanhood. - Melissa Fabello

Offline Sophie

• Silver Member
Hi Gino,

From my experience, I think that it may be more appropriate to say that your tastes and choices in what bras you choose will progress  rather than change. This is a good thing! It means that you are learning what you like and what works for you. 

Birdie made an excellent point that your outerwear depends upon what bra you choose and the bra depends upon the top you are going to wear. John mentioned that It also depends on your mood.( this is sooooooooooo true)

The path that you, and John have both described is logical and very similar to my own. I can add that I had a similar progression with my underwear and my outerwear wardrobe. I wore panties and ladies slacks and jeans for years because they fit much better than men's. 

I feel that the world would be a much better place if they would just have clothing stores and departments. Places where men and women could both shop for whatever they want to wear. Even though I consider myself a girly girl and definitely "the girl" in my relationship with my wife, I can still wear my ladies carhartt work pants, flannel and work boots. I feel so bad for the men who would prefer to to wear a skirt and heels to the office. 

I totally got off track (as usual)🤪😉. However, my point was that you don't have to stop at the bra. The ladies department and clothing stores have so much to offer. 

♥️Sophie ♥️

Offline Justagirl💃

The ladies department and clothing stores have so much to offer.

♥️Sophie ♥️
Like Sophie said, I help out at Torrid on weekends (I go to work on an hour), we have SOOO many items that fit the androgynous look (passable as male attire) for those of you looking for a better fit on your curves but don't want to look feminine. 

Of course if you want something SEXY 😘, we have that too. 💞💃💞

Offline Sophie

• Silver Member
Very true Birdie,

I bought most of my office wear from Torrid for years before transitioning. Their slacks and tops were always so comfortable and flattering. I had to be careful about what I bought for or at least wore to work. The girls at Torrid are awesome, however they had a tendency to steer me away from an androgynous look to fits and patterns that were decidedly feminine. I definitely liked the more feminine fashion on me and so did my wife. However my wife would give me a critique on my outfit if she thought that it crossed the line into women’s fashion. 

There are lots of options and lots of help available to find clothing that fits and flatters a feminine figure while maintaining an androgynous presentation. 

❤️Sophie❤️

Offline Parity

• Silver Member
When I first started wearing I stuck to tan/beige plain utilitarian styles.
I have to say I have deviated from that a lot now.  I very much enjoy shopping for various colors, styles and fabrics and the like.
I enjoy selecting the bra for the day in the morning and don't complain if a wardrobe change is needed for the evening.

Offline Justagirl💃

When I first started wearing I stuck to tan/beige plain utilitarian styles.
I have to say I have deviated from that a lot now.  I very much enjoy shopping for various colors, styles and fabrics and the like.
I enjoy selecting the bra for the day in the morning and don't complain if a wardrobe change is needed for the evening.
I'm wearing red plaid/black lace bra under a black woman's  T and denim today.
This bra is just SOOO sexy. 😘

Offline Evolver

• Gold Member
Out of curiosity I looked up a 40A on Torrid in several styles and found they don't have one. It can't even be ordered, nor do they have the sister size of a 38B.

I'm sorry but even at Torrid you would have to use the 40B as the closest fit.
Yeah. I have looked up Torrid before, mainly due to how often they get mentioned around here, but they seem to mainly cater for medium and well-endowed folk. I'm still a member of the itty bitty titty committee!

Another site I've been exploring a bit is Marks & Spencer, a UK store which has a local online store as well. They seem to have many variants in A -E Cup sizes: Women's Bras | All Bras, Lingerie | Marks & Spencer AU (marksandspencer.com) 

Offline Justagirl💃

"Yeah. I have looked up Torrid before, mainly due to how often they get mentioned around here, but they seem to mainly cater for medium and well-endowed folk. I'm still a member of the itty bitty titty committee!"

Well, I have to order my bras too because my size just isn't carried on the racks at Torrid. 🤭

Offline RAPC

• Posting Member
I started with the "smart size" bras from Hanes. They are designed to cover a whole bunch of cup sizes for a given band size. Therefore, they aren't very comfortable for me. 

I found Warner Blissful Benefits in 38B to fit well and I pretty much fill them up. Those are what i wear the most. Last summer, I also tried some Hanes bralettes that fit well. My only complaint with those is the straps are narrow and the band is narrow. But they are much cooler in the heat.

I have tried several other styles and I have not found any that fit as well as the Warner's.

Offline JJ_Gyne

• Posting Member
Seems that I went on a similar journey.

Tried a vest... that was horrible itchy and hot.
Tried some tighter spandex bras to squeeze things down. Became uncomfortable to wear all day.
Cotton hanes sports bras, ok still wear occasionally but do little to hide nipple projection.
Moved into some bralettes with inserts to fix the nipple issue. Still wear as they don't project as much as some of the regular bras.
Next tried a underwire front close racerback. Its ok will wear when not going anywhere but the straps drifted and became easily visible by shirt collars.
Finally TShirt bras and everything else. I usually find myself with back close t-shirt bras. They are comfortable give the support and can hide the adjusters well enough with a hoodie TShirt combo.

If I want to avoid broadcasting my bra hardware when in public or its too warm to wear layers I usually opt for the bralette and inserts.
My I don't care meter is slowly getting to the point where I am going to wear what I want. But I would rather avoid any exposure.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024