Author Topic: 12 days post op with pics.  (Read 1990 times)

Offline brad_e

I am a 32 year old who has lived with this for a long time. I remember around puberty my Areola's got puffy and then my chest started to get bigger. My family took me to our family doctor who happens to be an endocrinologist and reassured my parents that i was OK. This was followed by going through puberty,embarrassment and putting on weight due to depression and feeling different.

Of course this included no gyms , swimming pools or any other sport participation. I avoided social situation , wore baggy clothes and avoided t shirts like the plague. At that time my only wish was to just be like all my friends and be able to enjoy life as a teen boy.

Fast forward to 18 painful years later of hiding my body from family and friends. I had managed to bury myself in studying and going through medical school and finally starting medical residency. Of course by that time I had known what my condition was and what was needed to be done but couldn't afford it.

Last year, I finally decided to let someone into my personal life and get intimate physically for the first time in my life. It was the scariest thing that I had ever done but it motivated me to join a gym and get a personal trainer in order to make a difference even if it was small.  I started working out 3 to 4 times weekly , squats , weight lifting ...etc. As expected my body definitely improved with visible muscles. unfortunately , my chest got worse as my muscles pushed my glandular tissue to the sides. After working out for 14 months I gave up and started thinking about surgery to fix this as it was starting to affect me mentally. I also moved to southern California to start a new job.

I did my home work and researched local plastic surgeons. After several consultations I finally decided on a local plastic surgeon and had my surgery on the 23rd of August. The day of surgery was smooth no issues. woke up in pain and basically spent the weekend in bed. Next day I got up and removed the wrap and showered. Initial results were impressive but not 100 percent,  Day 3 post up left chest severely bruised and swollen and extremely tender, right side was not swollen with minor bruising but had a skin fold at the bottom. Day 4 left side very painful so I called the office and was reassured that it was just bruising after sending pics. By Day 10 the swelling on the left had slightly improved and the right side remained sagging but noticed lumps inside the sagging skin which feels rubbery, movable and slightly tender. I have not had my first post op visit yet but will see my doc in two days.

Since my post op visit was delayed due to scheduling and holiday I have become more anxious after reading some of the other experiences on this site. I am happy that I had the surgery but I am nervous about the outcome. It is definitely better than what it was but no where near a flat chest. I don't know if that's ever an option for me but I would like to think so. I have been dreaming about the day where i can walk on the beach shirtless without feeling embarrassed or humiliated.

What concerns me is :
1) excess skin , is that going to shrink with time and exercise. I don't think its as bad as I thought before the surgery. It seems as if i have an extra 1-2 inches of skin that i can pull.

2) Should I be worried about scar tissue forming on the right side even though i am only 10 days post op.

3)  Looking at my chest in the mirror at this point is bothering me because of the asymmetry.

P.S i have been using the compression vest daily since the surgery and only take it off to shower or clean up.

Anyone else in San Diego who has gyn and underwent surgery ?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:57:31 PM by brad_e »

Offline Benign

• Posting Member
congrats on everything man, at least you decided to make a positive change

I was just wondering what your weight/height is, and how overweight would you say you are/were? I think if you're severely overweight the skin tightening is necessary... I myself am not sure if my skin will be loose post-op. I'm not that overweight but I've had it 8 years so it must have stretched in some way I figured

Offline brad_e

Thanks benign, the most i have weighed was 220 pounds which was 8 years ago. Thinking diet would help I dropped to 145 pounds which somewhat helped but never took care of it. Since then I have gradually put on some weight but it has been stable at around 190 pounds. I have been working out for about a year too.  I am 5'11.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 02:44:14 PM by brad_e »

Offline brad_e

Here are current pictures.

Offline Benign

• Posting Member
Thanks benign, the most i have weighed was 220 pounds which was 8 years ago. Thinking diet would help I dropped to 145 pounds which somewhat helped but never took care of it. Since then I have gradually put on some weight but it has been stable at around 190 pounds. I have been working out for about a year too.  I am 5'11.
Well 220 at 5'11 isn't too much overweight but im not sure how the stretching of skin works.. Hopefully it goes down within a few months

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024