Author Topic: Will there be loose skin after gyno Surgery?  (Read 3624 times)

Offline joseph-mas

Hi, I am new here.
I’m 29 years old and I have severe gyno.
I have decide to do the gyno surgery, my surgeon told me that I have gyno “grade 4”and that I have two options to remove it:
The first option is to do a liposuction through a hole on side of my chest with “vaser” device to remove fats and glands and if he couldn’t remove “break” the glands he will do an incision on the side of areola.
The Second option is that he will do liposuction & he will remove a part of the skin around the areola to remove any excess skin.
He advised me to go with the first option, in case I have a realistic expectations as the operation will be simple and I will avoid the complications of the surgery in the second option.
What he meant by realistic expectations, that there will be an excess/loose skin, and he said it is hard to determine how much loose skin there will be, as it depends on many factors.
Is it a good decision to do liposuction only (first option)? How much loose skin will I expect in this case?
Is it true that the “vaser” helps in contracting the skin?
Pictures attached.
Thanks in advance!

hammer

Yes from what i understand you will have loose skin. I'm not a doctor, but I'm a person with gynecomastia that is worse then yours, but I was at your at right now to and I never wanted the surgery because of the possibility of looking worse after the surgery then it is before the surgery due to the scaring and nipple placement.

Now I'm also much older then you, I'm turning 60 this month and things have improved, but it's still a hard surgery to do with all the extra skin. If non of the doctors post here you may want to repost on ask a doctor too.

Good luck!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes, you have severe gynecomastia.  You are also overweight and that, too, has stretched out your skin.  Once skin has been stretched out, it is a one way street and will adversely affect the skin elasticity.  Realize, it is the skin elasticity which will determine your final result.

What to do?  Best to lose some additional weight prior to surgery.  Your BMI should be well below 30 for the best results.  BMI can be calculated using your height and weight -- check it out using any BMI calculator on the internet.

I would then agree with your surgeon who would do minimal scar surgery first.  After all, the goal for gyne surgery is to get the best results with the most minimal of scars.  The skin will undoubtedly tighten somewhat after that surgery -- but no one can estimate how much it will tighten.  Give it a minimum of 6-8 months and then re-assess with your surgeon.

At that time, you have a choice.  Accept the results or consider an additional, somewhat smaller operation to tighten the skin. Understand that during that 6-8 months, and after some spontaneous skin tightening, there will be less excess skin to deal with than had it been done at the initial operation -- and therefore smaller scars.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024