Author Topic: working out after surgery  (Read 3706 times)

Offline jeremiahj

• Posting Member
Hi everyone. Im pretty new here so I wasnt quite sure which area to put this thread in, sorry if its the wrong forum. But I had surgery almost 4 weeks ago. It went great, its looking great. But I am wonderin when it is ok to start lifting weights again. My mobility in my left arm (I had gynecomastia in my left pec) has improved a lot. I can lift my left arm straight up in the air now, and have pretty good mobility, still a little bit of a stretching feeling when i really reach my arm out (mostly when i left my arm outward, to my side). I am sure it varys for everyone, but when do I know when it is ok to start lifting weights again. I am sure I will want to get back into it slowly, lifting a little weight at the beginning and over the course of a week or two move up to heavy weights. But I am not quite sure.. so I am hoping somebody can give me advice as to how long to wait after surgery to begin lifting weights, andhow to approach working out again- safety precautions.etc. Thanks a lot.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
jeremiahj...

For most guys, 4 weeks post op should be more than enough time to resume your workout routine. Like you mentioned tho, just take it very easy at first. Listen to your body. If there is any discomfort/pain what so ever, stop and wait anohter week or so.

John.
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline jeremiahj

• Posting Member
thanks john. any other input from anyone else??

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
I was going for walks the next day. I started lifting in 6 weeks.

Offline desi

• Gold Member
whoi did ur surgery
Formerly, 'Fattgayee', as in 'Torn Apart' or more so 'I am Screwed' :)

Offline flex1appeal

My first surgery in June, I was training again 3 weeks post op light weights and by week 6 I was in full swing going heavier. I am 2 weeks post op 2nd surgery and plan on training again next friday light and moving up in weight gradually again over a 2 week span. Hope that helps. My doctor told me 3 weeks the first time around was long enough to start again

Offline rocketrob

• Silver Member
  • GYNO IS A BIATCH!
5-6 weeks should do it cowboy!!!

did for me

Offline jeremiahj

• Posting Member
thanks. i had my surgery done by a surgeon in the st paul.

Offline merle

• Gold Member
  • Author, Psychotherapist, Consultant
    • Merle James Yost, LMFT
Demystifying Gynecomastia: Men with Breasts
The first book on Gynecomastia

My newest book: Facing the Truth of Your Life is very relevant to members of this forum. It could save you a lot of unnecessary pain and time.

Book books are available on Amazon. FTTOYL is also available through your local bookstore or on Audible or iTunes.

Offline zidane7

• Posting Member
so if you play basketball, after 4 weeks you should be able to play again?
(if it's possible to 'hide' it from your team..  :( )

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
so if you play basketball, after 4 weeks you should be able to play again?
Everyone heals at different rates dude. What is good for one guy in not necessarily good for you. But yeah, in general, after the 4th week, you 'should' be able to play some BBall. Just listen to you body my man. If you feel any pain or discomfort, stop. Then maybe give it another few weeks.

(if it's possible to 'hide' it from your team..  :( )
Once again, we all heal at different rates dude. At four weeks you may still be experiencing some swelling which would be difficult to 'hide'.

John.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024