Author Topic: am i screwed or am i screwed?  (Read 1746 times)

Offline joe98

Hi everyone.. im 15 years old i've had gyno for 2 and a half years. double quarter size on my right and quarter size on my left... i got real gyno not pseudo gyno. I want to go ahead and get surgery but my body gets keloids whenever i get cut bad and i dont want to have a big keloid on my chest to make it look worse than having gyno in the first place, if someone could please give me their input on this i would appreciate it.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Post your question in the "Ask a Doctor" section.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
First of all, we have to discuss "keloids."  True, some folks have a tendency towards thickened scars (slightly wide and slightly raised).  These are rightly called "hypertrophic" scars -- they are not true keloids.  A true keloid is, by definition, a scar that literally grows up and out from a wound, something like a mushroom.  These types of scars are extraordinarily rare in gyne surgery.

Also, a person can scar poorly on some parts of their body (the most common "bad" areas are the back, the deltoid (shoulder) areas, and the sternum.  Gyne surgery scars are never located in these areas.

Further, you have to differentiate if your history of bad scars came from injuries which healed by themselves and were not sutured.  A wound/cut/scratch that heals by itself (rather than being sutured) oftentimes results in a thickened or widened scar.

Obviously, there is no way that a surgeon can guarantee that you will heal with a perfect scar, but it is certainly worthwhile to speak with a surgeon in order to determine what your options for treatment are and also to try to determine if indeed you might heal with a poor scar or not.  Armed with that knowledge, you will be in a better position to decide upon surgery or not.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline joe98

thanks a lot for your help and time, i will try to find a surgeon in my area