Author Topic: Post-surgery running?  (Read 2222 times)

Offline scottg

• Posting Member
I am a very avid runner, its my one passion and stress relief.. the only thing is im scared that i wont be able to get back running on the same week of surgery. What do you guys think? possible? my case is puffy nipples with glandular masses behind.

Offline shiver

• Posting Member
imho..i think it would be a really BAD idea to go running. believe me..i know how addictive running/working out can be for those that are used to doing that on a daily basis but i believe you'll be compromising your surgeon's work. please...please...consider doing something else to relieve your stress.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 10:24:47 AM by shiver »

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
I have a significant amount of tissue removed two weeks ago - 400cc from each side and a total of 100g of gland.

Between days 3 to 7 built up to walking four miles on a 8% incline on the treadmill.  Today, day 12 I jogged (slowly) for four miles always ensuring at least one foot on the ground at all times to prevent jolting the chest.  It felt fine.

I started stretching my upper body this week.  Next week I will begin VERY light resistance training.  I hope to be back to full resistance training by the end of week 6.  If I feel ANY discomfort or pain, then I will stop and wait a few more days.

My surgeon said that keeping mobile was important.  But you cant expect to run a marathon the next day!

My next official race is not until the middle of May when I will be in the Great Manchester 10Km run.  Soon after that it's a half marathon.  I don't think I will be running a full marathon this year because I don't really have enough time to train.

If you go for surgery, make sure you ask your surgeon his or her take on post-op training.

Hope that helps.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024