Author Topic: Just got Fielding'd!  (Read 3265 times)

Offline Crawdaddy

• Posting Member
So I had my surgery with Fielding this week... here's how it went...

I showed up at St Joseph's hospital at 6:30 AM Wednesday. They had me fill out a few forms and change into a hospital gown. By about 8 AM they were ready to let me in. One of the nurses sat me in a chair in the hallway with a hot blanket on my lap and I waited for about ten minutes for Dr. Fielding to show up. He was in a great mood and could sense that I was pretty nervous. He brought me into the surgery room. This was my first-ever surgery and the room looked exactly like I thought it would, with those huge mirrored lamps and tons of strange machinery. Three nurses were waiting for me, sharpening their tools. Nobody said a word. I sat on the edge of the bed and Fielding took one last picture of my chest, instructing me to relax my shoulders to "make them look as bad as you can". One of the nurses stuck an IV into the back of my hand and then an oxygen mask appeared over my mouth. The last thing I remember was Fielding saying "this is gonna be a work of art."

I woke up in the recovery room about two hours later, a little groggy but in good spirits overall, and in no pain. One of the nurses came over and saw that some saline fluid had leaked the side of my vest. She patted me down with towels, refastened my vest, and wheeled me off to my room. I fell asleep again, and when I woke up they were bringing in my new roommate. They brought me a plate of Hospital Food as I hadn't eaten since midnight the previous night. At that point I would've eaten anything. In general, the hospital staff was excellent, very responsive and knowledgable about this procedure. One of them even snuck off to Second Cup to get me a coffee.

After a few hours the pain started to set in. Moving the upper half of my body in any way became an agonizing chore, and after reading in these forums about hematomas I really tried to take it easy. Unfortunately after draining two full IV bags and a good litre of water, I was constantly getting up to pee. They gave me a couple Tylenol-3s which helped a bit, but for the most part I was a slow-moving object waddling between the bed and the bathroom all day long.

It wasn't much fun. For one thing, the vest was very tight and uncomfortable, since the nurse in the recovery room did a poor job fastening it. I had to get it readjusted several times because of the pain, both in my chest and my abdomen (since it was so tight it was starting to give me intestinal cramps). The foam pads kept shifting around under the vest and they still don't look right. The first time I tried to leave the hospital, a wave of nausea suddenly hit me and I had to spend a few more hours in bed fighting it off before they'd let me out.

Anyway, now I'm in the nearby Four Points Sheraton and relaxing a little. The pain is still there but it's pretty easy to ignore, and I've got more Tylenols just in case. I'm meeting with Fielding tomorrow for my post-op followup and I'm hoping he'll straighten out the pads a little. The pads + vest combo seems awfully bulky and I hope it hides well. Also, I just tried showering while wearing a makeshift vest made out of a garbage bag, with so-so results. All in all, it's been a challenge, but I'm happy I did it. Besides, when I look in the mirror my chest definitely has a different shape, a much better shape. Fielding wasn't lying when he said it was a work of art. Can't wait for the unveiling.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Crawdaddy

• Posting Member
Thanks! :D

I just had my Post-Op with Fielding at St Joseph's. He drained a bit of blood from my right side using some ridiculously large needle (he froze the area with a small needle first), which felt awfully weird. Not painful but uncomfortable. 

My chest looks great! The nipples are still roughly the same size but all the fatty tissue is completely gone, and it looks like a perfectly normal chest again. He says I'm healing very well and I should be able to have the pads off by the end of the weekend. All in all, I'm very pleased with the results so far.

He also took the foam pads off and gave me some less bulky cloth pads. Now you can't even notice I'm wearing anything under my shirt. Good stuff.

Anyway, you can consider my story as yet another recommendation for Dr. Fielding, the king of manboob removal...  ;D

Offline Big Brother

• Posting Member
Congrats dude,

I'm in my second week post op and loving it  8). I know what you mean, the vest takes a little getting used to (I wish it was a bit longer actually and covered the abdomen area) but you can't tell you're wearing it under a dark coloured shirt. It's a great feeling looking in the mirror and seeing a flat chest. There's supposed to be some swelling but that should subside...

Keep us posted on the progress,
Big Brother

Offline ForexFreak

• Silver Member
It would be cool if you posted op some pictures  ;D

I have a consultation with Feilding in a month and im soo excited !!! Good for you on your surgery , how much did it cost you ?

Offline Crawdaddy

• Posting Member
I didn't take any pre-op pictures, sorry bout that. My case was fairly minor, just some fat around the sides and in the nipple, no hard tissue. I know what you mean about the vest being too short, but I like it that way because it's starting to get itchy, so the less of my skin it covers, the better.

It cost me around $2500 but that's because I'm from out of province (QC). It would be much less if I lived in Ontario. Also it's slightly more expensive for QC than for any other province apparently, because of some deal between the various provincial health care insurers that excludes Quebec, but I don't know much about that.

Offline MRD

• Gold Member
My case is also fat around the sides and the nipple. Not too serious. HAve my op with Fielding end of march. I am hoping that when the gland and fat gets taken out from nipple area the nipple will be a bit smaller.

Offline Crawdaddy

• Posting Member
An update...

I'm now three weeks post-op. The advice sheet Fielding gave me said I can take the vest off now, but whenever I take it off my chest starts to hurt and I can't wait to put it back on. So I'm going to keep wearing it for the time being. I see some other people on this forum had a similar experience so I'm not concerned, and I've gotten used to the vest now.

As for the results, the left side looks absolutely perfect and has been that way from the beginning. The right side is still swollen and hard underneath, and there is still some bruising. It is healing very slowly. The nipple is a little bigger but that's probably because of the swelling. It looks kind of like a boob, but it isn't really a boob. It hasn't changed much since the surgery. When Fielding drained blood from my right side at the post-op followup he must not have drawn out very much because it's still rock hard. Anyway, I hope the right side starts to get better soon as I'd really like to start exercising again (I've been taking long walks in the meantime but I want to get back in the gym... I'm putting on weight!).

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024